1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

BBC Newsbeat: M.E. And Me - documentary available from Tuesday 8th May, 6am

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, May 6, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I don't think there is an existing thread for this yet? There are various posts about it in other threads but thought it might be useful to have its own thread.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2018/19/me-and-me

Now available to view at https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p065b4lp/newsbeat-documentaries-me-and-me
    Probably only available to view by UK residents at the moment.

ETA: Add link to program.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    ahimsa, EzzieD, MEMarge and 17 others like this.
  2. Dr Carrot

Dr Carrot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Presenter says she got better through yoga, diet, and a positive attitude, but despite the potential pitfalls of such a statement this looks like it could be very good.

3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Hmm, OK, well hopefully she will accept that there are lots of people who do exactly the same and don't recover. And even if she doesn't, hopefully the other influences in the program will present a more realistic view.

alktipping, Dolphin, Barry and 7 others like this.
  4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This sounds like the typical modest improvement from initial onset, which usually happens regardless of what the patient does. It sounds like Emma is still ill, unfortunately

Tia, Hutan, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  5. Dr Carrot

I was careful to phrase my initial comment but perhaps not careful enough - I am really happy that this has been done and all the levels of participation from various groups (Biobank, severely ill patients) gives me encouragement that this will be very good!

Tia, MEMarge, adambeyoncelowe and 4 others like this.
  6. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Liverpool Echo is giving the documentary a mention

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/bootle-mum-who-can-only-14622794

They originally covered her story on mother's day (along with the Daily Mirror)
    Mentioned in this thread here:

https://www.s4me.info/threads/daily...-her-son-a-few-minutes-a-day.2897/#post-51784

Tia, MEMarge, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  7. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

it says bbc I player from 6 am is it really going to be broadcast to so few viewers . I am probably missing something no surprise there.

8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

As far as I'm aware, it won't actually be broadcast in the traditional sense - it will be available to stream from 6am, and there will be publicity within the BBC as a whole that will link to it.

Tia, MEMarge, Binkie4 and 2 others like this.
  9. alktipping

does anyone think it strange to spend taxpayers money on a documentary type programme and then only put it out on an online platform . for those who do not know the bbc is funded by taxation through licensing.

BurnA likes this.
  10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

To quote myself from another thread
    They do this apparently so as to increase the viewing figures of their content, due to the youth of today viewing less live TV and more on-demand programmes.

11. alktipping

thanks for your reply being middle aged now I have never watched anything on I player. very rarely watch television these days cognitive issues can make it very difficult as you probably know.

MeSci, Andy, Skycloud and 1 other person like this.
  12. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The BBC took a whole channel, BBC3, off air and onto online only a year or so ago. They said it was because it was largely aimed at a young adult audience, and that group mostly watch TV through iplayer at a time to suit them rather than at a specific broadcast time. But it was also largely to save money.

I'm old, and I mostly watch with iPlayer - but I find out what's available through the Channel listings, so would miss programs like this.

13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-44004882

Link to the documentary itself (it's embedded in the above article as well),
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p065b4lp/newsbeat-documentaries-me-and-me

15. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Joh, Indigophoton, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  16. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Just watched it. I would put it in the pretty good category. There will always be things that we would prefer were different but the overall messages were good: psychologisation of ME is extremely unhelpful and quite possibly dangerous, more biomedical research is needed, and it does shine a light on how serious ME can be for some people.

17. Dr Carrot

Pretty good, yeah. For those who are thinking of diving in:

Visits with two severely ill patients, a brief insight into mild ME, a visit to the U.K. biobank.

I’m pleased to see severe ME further represented in media. One of my bugbears is the 25% statistic that’s used to show representation of severe ME among people with ME. It’s anecodtal and somewhat self selecting but given the amount of people I speak to online with this condition I feel like that percentage should be far higher, so representation in media like this is always good.

Tia, Indigophoton, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  18. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Another article on ME from BBC Newsbeat today, this time with a less than desirable headline.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-43824503

Tia, MEMarge, andypants and 1 other person like this.
  19. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Excellent documentary. Hopefully, if it gets enough online traffic, BBC will also show it on mainstream TV at some point. They've done that with other BBC3 docs.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    Joh, EzzieD, Tia and 13 others like this.
  20. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd like to see this statement in full:

Joh, Andy and Wonko like this.