1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

B-Lymphocyte Depletion in Patients With ME/cfs: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial (2019) Fluge et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Milo, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The idea of infection inducing autoimmunity is very old and in the great majority of diseases wrong. In the few situations where the immune system caues harm after infection the immune reactions tends to be short lived, leaving damage but not continuing (rheumatic fever and guillain-barre). Nodding disease might fit and also narcolepsy.

Ritiximab would not touch rheumatic fever.

I am not overenthusiastic abkout these high tech trawling for antigen studies but they might tirn something up. People have looked before (in the UK) andnot found anything.

merylg, TrixieStix, JaneL and 4 others like this.
  2. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've struggled to understand this for some time i.e. rituximab kills B-cells and B-cells produce antibodies. On the face of it, if you have a B-cell autoimmune (auto-antibodies) disease then rituximab would successfully treat this.
    Are there other cells (not B-cells) which produce antibodies (and therefore potentially auto-antibodies) and if so could you provide details?
    Is rituximab only effective against some B-cells i.e. there are other B-cells which produce antibodies and if so could you provide details?

T-cell autoimmunity has been discounted; Ron Davis speaking at the emerge conference last month.

Thanks

@Jonathan Edwards

JaneL and andypants like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

I would not discount T cells. All we know is that one preliminary finding from Mark Davis did not hold up. T cells cause post infective illnesses of pther sorts.

There is a reason why rituximab does not work for all autoantibody based illnesses. Antibodies are actually made by daughters of B cells called plasma cells. Plasma cells can live for decades and rituximab cannot touch them. The lucky thing about sevdral autoimmune disease is that the relevant plasma cells only live about 3-6 months. They probably stay in spleen rather than getting dug in to bone marrow. So continued autoantibody produ tion needs replenish.ent from B cells. So killing B cells with ritux blcks the supply of new antibodies.

merylg, Amw66, Marky and 11 others like this.
  4. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    andypants likes this.
  5. Marit @memhj

Marit @memhj Established Member (Voting Rights)

RTX6_Studieprotokoll_supl1_02042019 to large to upload

Attached Files:

inox, hinterland and andypants like this.
  6. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Someone I know who had Ritux (not for ME) was given an anti histamine first but she had adverse reactions to other things so it wasn't necessarily routine.

I wonder if the adverse reactions were just related to the additional exertion of getting to a clinic and having treatment. If a patient is already severe this could cause a relapse.

If I remember correctly PACE reported two things I can't remember what they called them but they had recorded events and then a committee filtered them to see if they could be treatment related.

hinterland and Andy like this.
  7. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We were given 20 mg anti histamine (H1) and 1 g paracetamol 1 hr before (to reduce reactions and discomfort), and then of course cortisol and lastly MabThera.

8. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't remember, did we ever send a thank you card to Fluge and Mella?

9. Three Chord Monty

Three Chord Monty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, Hutan, Andy and 3 others like this.
  10. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dagens Medisin has an article today about RituxME and has interviewed Øystein Fluge.

Dagens Medisin: Norsk studie: Legemiddel hadde ikke effekt på ME
    google translation: Norwegian study: Medication had no effect on ME

Fluge says the results of the study show how important it is to do double-blind and randomized placebo-controlled studies.

- The purpose of the study was to either strengthen or weaken the hypothesis that B cells were important for the symptom maintenance of ME.

- When the result is negative, it is good that it is unambiguous and clear. We should be happy about that. The purpose is not to go for one or the other - but to know what is actually true, says Fluge.

- It is so that some patients say that they have experienced the effect of this medicine. Of course, for a single patient it is difficult to know what has caused improvement - but at group level we can safely say that rituximab has no effect.

hinterland, MEMarge, Hoopoe and 7 others like this.
  11. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We need an Honest Scientist award.

2kidswithME, MEMarge, Amw66 and 9 others like this.
  12. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does anyone have access to the paper? Can't seem to read it.

Andy and Simone like this.
  13. Simone

Simone Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Has anyone been able to access the full paper? I’ve still not managed to get it to come up on Scihub, though I’ve been having Scihub issues lately.

Hutan and Andy like this.
  14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Nope, I can't get it via Sci hub either.

MEMarge, Hutan and Simone like this.
  15. Simone

Simone Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Bugger! :(

MEMarge, Hutan and Andy like this.
  16. Helen

Helen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do you remember what brand of cortisone and what dose you got?

MEMarge likes this.
  17. Jonathan Edwards

I am fairly sure everyone uses the data sheet recommendation of 100mg methylprednisolone IV.

MEMarge, andypants and Helen like this.
  18. Peter

Peter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

“One hour before infusions, all patients received premedication with 1 g of oral acetaminophen, 10 mg of cetirizine, and 8 mg of dexamethasone.”

19. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, you can't access it now either? Was just linking to a table in another thread, not realising it might not be accessible to all.

I can read it now, not sure why.

20. Jonathan Edwards

There is something odd about access to this. I cannot get it through my college account. I would have to use something called Athens that I do not have a registration for.