1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Autonomic nervous system function, activity patterns, & sleep after physical or cognitive challenge

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Personally I don't know the researchers but it's been suggested to me that at least one has previously been firmly in the BPS camp, the fact that it is published in the Journal of Psychosomatic Research is a red flag as well. But, until proven otherwise, I'm putting it in the Biomedical research sub-forum.

Paywalled at http://www.jpsychores.com/article/S0022-3999(17)30498-1/abstract

Mij, Dolphin and Valentijn like this.
  2. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Looks fairly limited study with a lot of self reporting for fatigue and sleep quality. Not sure that it says an awful lot. Perhaps I'm missing something mthats burried in the full report?

3. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

They're BPS fatigue researchers - fans of CBT and GET, plus subjective outcomes. Two are psychiatrists, two are from a CBT/GET "fatigue clinic", and the other two seem like general fans of the healing powers of exercise. Most of them co-authored a letter where they expressed the belief that psychiatric disorders (among others) can result in autonomic disturbance.

Lloyd seems particularly quack-flavored:

Mij, Cheshire, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  4. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seems to have the hallmark "vague results to draw any conclusions you want" type study that they normally churn out.

Cheshire, Andy and Valentijn like this.
  5. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

Yeah. If there's any doubt regarding whether it's a BPS or Biomedical study, it's almost always BPS :p They thrive on doubt, whereas biomedical research tends to be about seeking clarity.

Trish, Andy, Cheshire and 1 other person like this.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This paper seems to me to be fairly reported. Also no promotion of CBT or GET that I recall.

Personally I am more excitable (physically) with the illness and it can take quite a while if I have got excited to calm down so it seems plausible to me that the parasympathetic response may be lower and disturbed compared to healthy people.

Float likes this.