1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Australia: Say NO to the cashless debit card!

Discussion in 'Advocacy Action Alerts' started by Simone, Feb 11, 2020.

1. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nope.

2. alex3619

I will have to give my card to a third party, then the PIN, totally violating security. There is currently no way around this. Over time, and multiple support workers, many people will wind up with my PIN, so I will have to keep changing it ... and I already cannot remember passwords and PINs.

FMMM1, Andy, JaneL and 3 others like this.
  3. Simone

Simone Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The issue about carers having to have the card to buy stuff for people is a huge one. They’ve not considered housebound or bedbound people at all.

rvallee, Andy, JaneL and 5 others like this.
  4. Simone

That’s terrible! How does the agent make people pay their rent?

FMMM1, Andy, JaneL and 2 others like this.
  5. large donner

large donner Guest

Simone and alktipping like this.
  6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

People on social security are just the test group for introducing a fully cashless society, which is one of the critical infrastructure elements of an authoritarian state. (The others being knowing your location at all times, who you are communicating with, and your medical records.)

The rest of Oz society just have not twigged yet what a fully cashless society really means. So they are happy to let it be done to us undeserving feckless bludgers on welfare, in the delusion that they are safe from it being done to them.

When they realise what they have done to themselves, they better not look to me for sympathy, because all I will have is bitter mocking laughter at their idiocy.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    Invisible Woman, Andy, JaneL and 2 others like this.
  7. Simone

To be fair, not all online stores are banned, but there are restrictions, and some huge sites are banned (eg: eBay and PayPal), but others (like iHerb) are not.

There are so many stories about people having issues with the card, but the government is just glossing over them all. They‘re determined to make this happen.

8. Sean

Which just happen to be my two main online purchase sites.

The ability to buy online is one of my main financial and health management tools. It saves both money and time/energy, and on more than a few occasions has made something possible that could not be done any other way (e.g. sourcing out of production spare parts to fix something that otherwise has plenty of life left in it, and thus saving considerable money).

This is going to be a disaster, and it is entirely intentional on the part of the government. They are doing everything they can to make social security as traumatic and dysfunctional as possible, to drive people off it, and as a warning to those not on it about what will happen to them if they even try to apply for it.

It is conspicuous cruelty.

Also, what happens to joint accounts, where one person is not on benefits? How does that work?

And what about existing cash in accounts? Does that get put onto the card? I am planning to withdraw all my modest funds just before it is introduced. Might buy (ha ha) enough breathing space until the next election, and potentially a new government (which is no guarantee anything will change, of course, but at least it is a possibility).

Invisible Woman, chrisb, Andy and 4 others like this.
  9. Simone

The complacency of so many around so many topics: increased surveillance, meta-data etc. It’s mind-numbing.

Invisible Woman, chrisb, Andy and 4 others like this.
  10. Simone

This card is separate to existing accounts, so won’t affect joint accounts and won’t affect cash in your accounts, because Indue and the card can’t access your bank account. It’s like getting a brand new debit card account in your name only and at a separate bank (which isn’t a bank and doesn’t offer the fraud protections of a bank), but with loads of restrictions of where you can use the money that’s put into the account.

It also means that any direct debits you’ve got set up would need to be changed so that they come out of the new card account, not your current bank account or credit card (unless you can cover them under the 20%). This alone is a huge deal for MEeps.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2020
    Invisible Woman, Andy, JaneL and 3 others like this.
  11. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.dss.gov.au/families-and...e-conditionality/cashless-debit-card-overview

Also:

https://www.dss.gov.au/sites/defaul...tsheet-common-misconceptions-extra-text_0.pdf

Which is still outrageously expensive!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    FMMM1, Invisible Woman, Andy and 3 others like this.
  12. alex3619

They have a range of options, but only one works for me as a mostly housebound person.

Invisible Woman, Andy and Simone like this.
  13. Sean

Believe it when I see that process actually working fairly and promptly. Not holding my breath. It would be completely contrary to everything this government has done to the social security system and every attitude they hold to its users.

https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article...s-can-soon-apply-opt-out-cashless-card-trials

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...e-card-trial-is-almost-impossible-critics-say

14. Simone

It’s so disgusting.

People who are poor struggle to pay bills because they, by definition, don’t have enough money. That lack of money is then used as evidence that they’re incapable of managing their finances (rather than reflecting the reality that social security payments haven’t kept up with the cost of living), and then used to refuse them exiting the card.

My understanding is that there’s no evidence that anyone who has applied to exit the program has been allowed to do so.

Invisible Woman, Wonko, Sean and 2 others like this.
  15. Simone

Invisible Woman, mango, Sean and 2 others like this.
  16. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You know how it is with politicians. They try to solve one problem by creation of a worse one. They probably won't be around to sort out the mess. Indeed, careers have been created on that premise.

17. Sean

What is really disgusting is that they get away with it. They not only face no punishment for it, but are even rewarded for it with re-election.

18. Simone

Yep. No matter what they do.

Sean likes this.