Australia: RACGP: GET for CFS

Discussion in 'Other guidelines' started by Sly Saint, Jan 3, 2022.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Glasziou justs worships exercise, in whatever context. He has said so. He thinks it is wonderful.

Turtle, bobbler, alktipping and 12 others like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One major feature of evidence-based medicine appears to be that evidence-based conclusions cannot be overturned. We've seen this argued more or less in those terms when NICE contradicted the old evidence, there was a strong overall argument that it contradicted the old evidence, and that makes it invalid. And this is far from the first time. Even with PACE they used the excuse to align with past trials, which makes the entire process useless, sham trials, nothing but a political process.

Just one more way evidence-based medicine is completely unfit for purpose. Evidence doesn't matter, and conclusions cannot be overturned. They are correct when first established and going back against is perceived as a personal attack. Every criticism is always framed as a personal slight, the substance of the criticism is simply never discussed on its own, always reframed with sophistry. I keep seeing this and it's so disturbing.

I doubt it's more complicated than this. People aren't nearly attached to facts as much as they are to opinions, and there have long been very strong opinions about this. It's worse than pseudoscience, it's anti-science empire-building. I keep seeing and saying how even though we are at the center of this, the whole controversy about ME is about far more than just us, it's about the lack of validity of evidence-based medicine and about propping up a failed system that was supposed to be the future of medicine, and actually managed to be worse than its past.

3. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Because he's the surfing professor? My own contact with him has been very irritating. He referred way back to my PACE investigation as an ad hominem attack--which it obviously wasn't. We had further exchanges online last year in which he just acted like all concerns about PACE were nonsense.

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

He has also been very rude and dismissive on Twitter.

bobbler, alktipping, Holinger and 8 others like this.
  5. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed he has.

6. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Simone, bobbler, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

alktipping, Simone, bobbler and 8 others like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It'll be something watching him completely change his tune once this happens and his own research is dismissed as garbage.

It's easy to dump on LLMs and their potential to simply parrot what's in the literature, but that's only as long as they can't reason. Once they can do that, once they never miss a logical fallacy or contradiction, they will simply not care about any biases and agendas from the people who did bad studies.

It will actually be a serious controversy. Good models capable of doing competent reviews will make so many people so angry that we will see a huge reactionary movement in response, demanding that it all be thrown out, and I'm sure Glasziou will be in that camp. But it will be good overall and no paradigm shift occurs without making a lot of people mad.

Although reading his description really has that "At [big tobacco company], we value life above all" vibe. Just comically fantastic self-description.

Sean, alktipping, oldtimer and 2 others like this.