1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Australia: News from Emerge Australia

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Andy, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2022
    Ash and Snow Leopard like this.
  2. Dolphin

From Emerge Australia:
    Expansion of our website for Health Professionals

The team at Emerge Australia have been working hard to expand the resources available on our website for health professionals.

At the end of May we launched three brand new pages designed specifically for health professionals, which provide information about:

• Diagnosis of ME/CFS
    • Management and support for patients with ME/CFS
    • Creating an ME/CFS accessible healthcare practice
    • Ways to continue professional development into ME/CFS
    Visit the new Health Professionals pages here

Our education team is dedicated to supporting health professionals to provide the best possible care for people who live with ME/CFS and its associated conditions, including Long COVID.

If you are a GP or allied health professional feel free to contact our education team
    directly.

Simone, Lilas, cfsandmore and 5 others like this.
  3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Not the best audio, but good enough. Otherwise a good talk.

Broadly speaking they know their stuff, and have clearly listened to patients. :thumbup:

Amw66, Simone, Lilas and 3 others like this.
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

From an email:
    "AGM Details
    • Thursday 1 December 2022
    • 6pm onwards (Australian Eastern Daylight Time)
    • via Zoom (registration link below)
    Official Notice for Emerge Australia Inc. Annual General Meeting

How do I participate in the virtual AGM?
    The video conferencing website, Zoom, will be utilised for the AGM, enabling members to attend from home. All you need to do is sign up for a free account at zoom.us

Once you have created an account with Zoom, you can then register to attend the AGM via the link below.

Register to attend Emerge Australia's virtual AGM
    Please note. There is a limit on the number of attendees who can register to attend the virtual AGM, due to Zoom license limitations.

The AGM meeting will open with a waiting room from 5.50pm. Please allow some time to login and access the meeting if this is your first time using Zoom.

Please note. Emerge Australia staff are unable to provide IT or technical support for members to attend the meeting. We suggest you review the available how-to resources on the Zoom website.

Nominating a proxy
    To nominate a proxy please complete the relevant form and returned it to the Secretary at Emerge Australia, Level 7, 276 Flinders Street, Melbourne VIC 3000 or by email to: laura.kool@emerge.org.au no later than 48 hours prior to the AGM.
    Proxy nomination form"

I'm not sure whether there will be any way to vote other than via a proxy if attending by zoom.

Sean likes this.
  5. Hutan

From an email:

Be a part of designing our new brand!

Would you believe our current logo and brand are nearly 10 years old? We think it’s time for an update.
    We want to make sure the way Emerge Australia looks, sounds, and feels truly reflects the people we support and we're partnering with Nova Diem to bring this project to life.

We designed our previous logo and brand in 2014. Feedback from the sessions we ran helped us inform how our logo looked, our general colours and text, and even the way we communicated our information to you. We'd love for you to help us do that again.

Take the survey below to put your stamp on our new look and feel. It will take about 5-10 minutes and will be confidential and anonymous, but will help us understand how we can best represent ourselves to you.

Thank you for participating!
    Link

I think the idea of a rebranding is terrific. The current butterfly logo is not great. I found the survey a bit annoying, but I hope lots of our members will give their thoughts. I suggested the blue flax lily as a symbol - has pretty blue flowers and berries, is resilient, grows across Australia, traditionally used for making ropes and baskets. The latter seemed appropriate, baskets of knowledge, ropes for making connections. (It's not a European flax.). I hope Emerge takes the opportunity to rename the organisation - Emerge doesn't mean much.

Screen Shot 2023-03-24 at 5.15.18 pm.png

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    RedFox, Simone, Trish and 2 others like this.
  6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ahimsa, Sean, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  8. Tom Kindlon

9. Hutan

Dr Schloeffel is ...alternative. The link in the quote below takes you to a discussion when his appointment as Emerge's Medical Director was announced.

I'm still despairing about this. At a time when we need a stringently scientific medical person representing Emerge to take on the BPS crowd as they are coming out fighting, we have Dr Schloeffel.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2023
    RedFox, NelliePledge, Trish and 6 others like this.
  10. Hutan

11. Tom Kindlon

From their latest newsletter:

New online resources for Health Professionals

Emerge Australia's Education team has been working hard over the past 12 months to develop a set of resources directed at GPs and other Allied Health professionals.

The new section on the website provides a range of information, support and professional development options to help healthcare practitioners accurately diagnose and support patients with ME/CFS and Long COVID.

https://www.emerge.org.au/health-professionals/

12. Hutan

13. Pilk

Pilk Established Member

Emerge is not a well resourced charity. To be brutally honest, this rebrand makes their limited means very plain. It looks like an amateur in-house job and they ought to ask for a refund. This is a step backwards.

Hutan, Peter Trewhitt and oldtimer like this.
  14. Hutan

I wasn't sure what I thought, but I think I agree with you @Pilk. I certainly don't think it's a triumph, the website looks clunky to me with cluttered pages. In particular I find legibility a problem. I know that they have considered the issues some people with ME/CFS have with light sensitivity, but I'm not sure that what is done here helps? I don't like light text on a dark background. And I don't like the way boxes sort of swim into view unbidden - it's quite an active screen.

Also, I have had problems with the website loading. It seems to take a long time and get stuck sometimes.

Pilk, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  15. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

None of the movement is necessary or desirable, using a picture as background makes some of the text hard to read. They serve people who are likely to have cognitive difficulties.

The format should be as clean and uncluttered as possible.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2023
    Hutan, Trish, Peter Trewhitt and 2 others like this.
  16. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I strongly agree.

17. Dolphin

The Emerge Australia Research Digest (098) 31/8/23

Welcome to the 98th edition of the Research Digest. This edition features articles that contribute to our understanding of ME/CFS and Long COVID. Alongside a Swiss report detailing the experiences of individuals with ME/CFS, the digest presents research on the enduring cognitive effects of COVID-19 and a study demonstrating the advantages of adhering to pacing strategies to accelerate health recovery and improvement.

https://www.emerge.org.au/researchdigest/research-digest-31-8-2023/

Sean, RedFox, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  18. Hutan

??

It's this study:
    The relevance of pacing strategies in managing symptoms of post-COVID-19 syndrome
    Authors: Ghali A, Lacombe V, Ravaiau C, Delattre E, Ghali M, Urbanski G, Lavigne C (Angers University Hospital, France)

Of course we have a thread on it:
    The relevance of pacing strategies in managing symptoms of post-COVID-19 syndrome 2023, Ghali et al

Edit to add: The Emerge summary says
    However the study was not good enough to be concluding that this is evidence that pacing works. We can't assume that reported pacing adherence is accurate, or that it causes recovery rather than is a result of recovery. It's a lot easier to not crash when you are well than when your threshold for PEM is low. I think we need our ME/CFS charities to be pointing this out. As @Jonathan Edwards says on the study thread, if this study starts getting cited as evidence of pacing, we aren't any better than the BPS people.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2023
    cfsandmore, obeat, Sean and 4 others like this.
  19. Dolphin

Peter Trewhitt and Hutan like this.
  20. Dolphin

In the latest instalment of Emerge Australia’s ongoing webinar series, CEO Anne Wilson was joined by Dr Richard Schloeffel OAM and Nurse Educator Kate Herbert to discuss and answer questions around living with ME/CFS.

https://www.emerge.org.au/living-with-me-cfs/

Peter Trewhitt, Hutan and Trish like this.