1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Assessment and management of recurrent abdominal pain in the emergency department, 2019, Daniels et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Dec 8, 2019.

1. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

do you think any of this nonsense would exist if the insurance companies were not involved in medicine in any way . medicine has always been about money in the past when only the patients paid for it no doctor would tell a paying client that the should just change the way they think about pain or any other symptom . look to the corrupt judges who allowed a get out of contract card for illnesses that are deemed mental health issues .that legislation should be overturned and then I think you would see funding for tripe bs research dry up and there would not be an insurance gravy train for the people involved.

2. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My partner was sent home with a diagnosis of constipation when in fact he had a hole in his appendix....
    They only discovered that about a year later. Luckily the GP prescribed antibiotics when I made a big fuss, and then prescribed a second course when I said he was improving but not better. I’ve never been able to see the emergency department in the same light again. The triaging was a joke.

3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The ER could have easily diagnosed my POTS I think if they had been trained to do that. Instead they were trained to suspect intangible psychosocial factors after things like a heart attack had been ruled out.

I remember there was a paper that suggested in ME/CFS the most common reason to go to the ER is orthostatic intolerance. A little bit of training here would remove a portion of what must appear to the staff as conversion reactions.

4. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Early in my illness, i presented to ER with severe abdominal pain radiating to the back. I trashed in bed, it was so bad. They gave me morphine which made me sleep. In the morning the nurse pulled the Iv and said i did not need to be in the ER, and sent me home.

I returned in the afternoon, with a fever this time. The staff was pissed off at me for returning, because readmissions to the ER do not look good for their statistics. It turned out i was admitted for 10 days and had surgery for a necrotic gallbladder.

5. Milo

No, @alktipping this happens in socialized medicine as well.

6. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

milo the insurance industry in England and the conservative party is pushing for a us insurance led medical system I am reasonably sure this is happening elsewhere to .

MEMarge and ladycatlover like this.
  7. Milo

Shame on them :(

alktipping and MEMarge like this.
  8. Milo