1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Assessment and management of recurrent abdominal pain in the emergency department, 2019, Daniels et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Not a recommendation.
    Paywall, https://emj.bmj.com/content/early/2019/12/06/emermed-2019-209113.full
    Scihub, https://sci-hub.se/10.1136/emermed-2019-209113

Simbindi, Hutan, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My mother had recurrent abdominal pain; was in A and E in the morning of the day she died from a AAA (aortic aneurysm) having been sent home with painkillers.

3. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So sorry to hear about this @Sly Saint

4. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's another piece from Joleen, on the NICE guideline development committee!

"To suggest that any symptomatic experience is purely biomedical is scientifically refutable and lacking in credibility. Modern medicine has moved towards the biopsychosocial model of health, acknowledging the complex reciprocal interactions between multiple systems at physiological, psychosocial and environmental levels"

The arrogance is amazing. I really should stop reading this stuff.....

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  5. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry to hear this @Sly Saint, that's horrible.

6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What I find remarkable is the complete lack of psychological insight.

7. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And yet these psychosocial factors are so nebulous that the conclusion that an illness is (supposedly) a conversion reaction is reached only when no biomedical cause can be found. Which is entirely consistent with there being no conversion reaction whatsoever and a 100% biomedical cause because absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

ladycatlover, Louie41, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  8. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Stress doesn't even make you feel abdominal pain. So...

9. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Psychosocial factors ,does this mean that poorer people's symptoms are taken less seriously?

10. large donner

large donner Guest

Yes exactly, at what point do they come up with a "tool" they are willing to blind test on a group of mixed illness patients and declare which ones are conversion disorder as opposed to a known and previously diagnosed physical illness.

I'm pretty sure the Lancet or the BMJ would be willing to publish their findings if they got it right 50% of the time on a tiny sub set of say two people.

Surely if conversion disorders are easy to diagnose they should be able to apply the conversion disorder questionnaire without performing a single biomedical test or physical examination.

No doubt if the results turned out that every patient was a cancer patient and they had declared a number of them conversion disorder the BMJ or Lancet would snap their hands of for the paper to show that psychological factors cause cancer.

11. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The callousness of the underlying thought processes in this paper is absolutely horrific.

12. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I don't understand why there are psychologists involved in this area at all. They have no medical knowledge, so should not be advising on how to assess abdominal pain.

So their 5 step 'ERROR' acronym stands for:
    E: exclude medical emergency
    R: review attendance and care plan (look for frequent attenders)
    R: record relevant factors (meaning psychological factors)
    O: offer a credible explanation for pain (tell them it's not biological)
    R: Refer on (to be fair, this includes further medical tests, but also pain and psychology clinics)

That looks like a pathway that encourages pushing people off onto pyschs as soon as nothing obvious is found, especially if they've attended before.

13. Arnie Pye

Something I read recently that I had never taken in before is that, in practice (not theory), there isn't a single gynaecological condition which constitutes an emergency. (I'm not including obstetrics in that statement.)

ladycatlover, Amw66, Louie41 and 2 others like this.
  14. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The underlying premise implicit in the above abstract (in more general terms than just abdominal pain) is that there is a large category of people who respond to life's difficulties with any of a host of physical symptoms that are not in fact any real pathology as understood in ordinary medical terms. We all already know that they believe this.

Beyond the idea of mental phenomena as cause of symptoms there is entirely no explanation for how this happens or why. One presumes strong emotions are involved and/or lack of skill in coping with the vagaries of life. This is an entirely subjective judgment on their part and based on nothing more than the distress a person presents with because they are ill and being 'handled' and are often well aware of it.

It's difficult to understand how the BPS cabal can easily through a simple box ticking exercise distinguish between someone who presents with a physical illness that has no reliable test markers but requires improved medical understanding (or just further examination) and those that fit in to conversion. We know the answer here too is to simple hover up all people unfortunate enough to find themselves without an easy diagnosis. I can't help think 'conversion' is an apt term here. The BPS filling the part of the powerful figure who must convince them of their sin of unconscious pretense.

Of course there is the problem that mental processes do affect us physically so that because we know almost nothing of how, why or when they do that--the BPS premise becomes unfalsifiable. By the same token one can say well then, who's to say? Clearly, the BPS cabal think they can by virtue of a complete lack of evidence.

But (even according to many of the BPS cabal) they are real physical sensations that can even be objectively evaluated on tests (occasionally) yet are still due to some vague (as yet to be well defined) mental process. So here's a problem as I see it: how then to tell the difference between the two?

If medical technology continues to provide new ways of evaluating physical processes and their dysfunctions how are the BPS to distinguish when one is a real illness that requires medicine and the one that only requires some talk therapy about how to acquire a backbone?

In other words, when can we expect this madness to stop?

15. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

My understanding is that illnesses that can cause abdominal pain, pancreatic cancer for example has
    much worse detection rates. So how can anyone morally argue that a better safe than sorry approach is inappropriate.

16. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Riiiight. Oh yeah, totally. This is definitely true and not completely made up. Doubleplusungood.

It's particularly notable that if those patients were actually followed competently in regular care, and those problems competently researched, they would almost never go to emergency medicine. Don't blame people suffering for your own damn failures.

Which to some credit the paper acknowledges, yet somehow chooses not to follow the train of thought:
    It's almost as if those were not actually adequate and useful. Almost. Only if you apply common sense, though.
    Especially if you aggressively reject common sense by making stuff up about pain being anything other than pain. Nobody likes pain. Pain is bad, it's disabling, it's exhausting. It doesn't care whether you think about it or not the same way you can't wish away a constant source of loud screeching noise. It's not about a "threat" at all, pain is bad in and of itself without inventing some imaginary additional meaning to it.

No idea what's going on here:
    No true BPS? The paper mentions earlier to this paragraph that a BPS model of abdominal has been around since about 1990. With absolutely nothing to show for it. 30 years and somehow this weird realization that it's both complete yet lacking any understanding. It's not as if technology or other scientific breakthroughs will make a difference here, this is a completely alternative model that could have been done as is 500 years ago if they had wanted to.

The O in ERROR stands for "offer a credible explanation for pain", which is basically the typical "rousing reassurance" nonsense, make up an explanation for the sake of giving an explanation because that's all the patient needs. An explanation, any explanation, doesn't matter if it's relevant just reassure them. What freaking arrogance.

I assume this is the same Jo Daniels as on the NICE committee. With "experts" like this...

alktipping, Sarah94, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  17. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What a strange acronym. It is almost as if it stands for:
    Sorry you were wrong, you didn't need to come to the ER.
    You needed a multidisciplinary team providing unvalidated individualised treatment.

18. rvallee

I never stop being amazed at this. Paper-thin caricatures of human behaviors from people clearly committing false attribution errors while pretending to take a "holistic" approach that is actually 100x more reductive than biology, which is freakishly large and covers a whole lot of ground.

Mithriel, ladycatlover, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  19. rvallee

Somehow even though peptic ulcers got yanked away from MUS, the ideas underlying it are still used in practice. It's mostly moved on to IBS and generic abdominal pain now, with everything else the same. Ooops, wrong doomsday prediction, the end of the world is not for 10 May, it's actually for 5 October. Just mixed up notation. Still guaranteed to happen, sell all your belongings anyway.

Louie41, alktipping and Arnie Pye like this.
  20. Arnie Pye

I was thinking of something specific when I wrote the post above.

Think of testicular torsion versus ovarian torsion.

Both ought to be treated as emergencies. Since the scrotum and testicles can be seen and felt I'm sure that testicular torsion is almost certainly treated very seriously and very rapidly most of the time.

But for women, since the ovaries can't be seen the chances of not getting taken seriously are high, and women can be left to suffer in excruciating pain for weeks.

ladycatlover, Amw66, MEMarge and 5 others like this.