1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask Dr Ellie Cannon recommends GET - Mail on Sunday

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Gecko, Sep 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Gecko

Gecko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6197085/ASK-DR-ELLIE-CANNON-clear-big-lump-throat.html

I assume this is just mindless regurgitation with zero research.

2. James

James Established Member (Voting Rights)

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

4. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

About the author - google blurb on her book:

Jack of all trades.....

5. Trish

With such a wide media influence, I wonder if it's worth contacting her.

6. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, even if it was just some of the material we have such as the letter to the Lancet with all the signatories, a copy of the psychology journal......

7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Makes you wonder where the next big advocacy push needs to come from. Seems to be a bit of a stalemate at the minute.

8. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Where would a GP/ medic look for advice - NHS guidance.
    Is this really surprising?

9. large donner

large donner Guest

So it could arise after the only three possible possibilities and also because at first a doc might just tell you you are mentally ill even though it was actually ME, the dustbin diagnosis you started of with has to still stand in your medical notes.

You may get cancer after a physical illness or a mental illness or not or you may get it without any of those things happening first.

"One study!! " :banghead:

Great!! This is encouraging! More beneficial than Lucozade and grapes or less beneficial or nearly the same?

Hanging on your every word. Whats fatigue got to do with anything though.

Let me guess, so one can hear more of this shit?

Wow tell us more.

2018 and she is still spouting this crap??

So wait that's pacing not GET? If it is pacing why would it be called a treatment?

Wrong!

Not according to the "experts" she got the above drivel from. Tests are actively discouraged according to them.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  10. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think tests are only discouraged after disgnosis. Initial tests to rule out other possibilities are recommended. But if those tests don’t pick the problem up, it seems they should be regarded as definitive*, and further explorations are discouraged and CBT/GET is the next step.

* IE They say “We could find nothing wrong with this patient” - which WE know does not mean the same as ‘there IS nothing wrong’, but that is the way it is interpreted, and after this point the medic is discouraged from testing further. Sometimes, when new symptoms appear these are ignored also.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  11. Eagles

Eagles Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEA: Mail on Sunday: Ask Dr Ellie Cannon – Recently diagnosed with M.E. How long must I put up with this fatigue? | 24 September 2018

https://www.meassociation.org.uk/20...ecently-diagnosed-with-m-e-24-september-2018/

In yesterday’s Daily Mail, in the regular “Ask Dr Ellie Cannon” column, a question was featured about M.E.

Dr Charles Shepherd has responded with the following information to Dr Cannon, hoping this might provide her with more accurate information and a better understanding of the disease...

James, Squeezy, Daisybell and 17 others like this.
  12. Trish

That is a very good response from Dr Shepherd. @Russell Fleming please convey my thanks.

13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Still talks of general improvements though that I'm not convinced that the evidence exists for.

14. Trish

True, but nobody's perfect. ;)
    I'd also like to know the evidence for it being a minority who get worse over time.

15. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thes
    These quotes are from the CMO 2002 report. So quite a while ago and before forums and FB groups were as popular.

I think it's a generally good response, especially as a fair amount of his w/e was spent responding re the "Sussex" post.

James, alktipping, Dolphin and 5 others like this.