1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Article by Fiona Fox (SMC) for the Revolutionary Communist Party (c. 1996)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Robert 1973, Apr 8, 2018.

1. petrichor

petrichor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm very happy for her to have whatever political views she wishes, but the way she talks about Carol having ME as if it stems from having some kind of personal weakness of will is pretty concerning. It reminds me so much of the kind of attitude I've encountered (that the fact I have ME relates to some kind of weakness of will).

Lou B Lou, Joh, ukxmrv and 5 others like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I think their love of the mind-over-matter fairytale is little more than desperately trying to deny their own human frailty and inevitable mortality.

It is the most profound and destructive of all psychopathologies. The inability to accept the limits of the material body, the ultimate rule of matter-over-mind.

It disturbs their equipoise. :rolleyes:

3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Now you don't want to get me started on this.

Firstly it is me that is always right, not either of these ladies. Always.

Secondly, Descartes was right that mind rules matter. Mind is dynamic action (like, er, neuron membrane excitation to be modern) and matter is merely aggregates of fermions lolling about being kicked around by action. Descartes's physics was actually remarkably on track - mind was physics for him, as it should be.

But of course mind can only act the way matter lays things out for it to act so nothing is 'in control'. Everything is a chain of Aristotelian causes - formal and final.

I could bore you of hours with all this stuff.

4. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Whenever I hear the word "hegemony" I reckon I've got a good take on the person using it. Just one of my personal heuristics. Could be wrong, but it's worked for me so far.

EDIT: In fact wasn't she in Harry Potter?

Hutan, Luther Blissett, Trish and 2 others like this.
  5. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

The far ends of the political spectrum do seem to kind of join up in a weird way and become a sort of dictatioral blob.

6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I certainly accept that we can influence to some degree how matter behaves, both internally and externally. But the degree of influence is always going to be absolutely constrained by the basic natural materials and processes we have to work with. Which still leaves a lot of room to move, I grant you.

7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

upload_2018-10-21_21-51-52.png

And this is the person at the helm of the SMC.

8. Jonathan Edwards

You could write a PhD on the delusional origins of that last sentence. What the xxxx does it mean?

Robert 1973, Cheshire, EzzieD and 4 others like this.
  9. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No matter who had written it, it would come across to me as the twisted thinking of a radical anarchist, seeking to undermine the UK's democracy by subterfuge, brain washing of the young, and with a keen sense of a superiority complex.

Woolie, EzzieD, Rick Sanchez and 3 others like this.
  10. Jonathan Edwards

Ah, I just thought it was twisted thinking.

bobbler, andypants, EzzieD and 4 others like this.
  11. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't imagine why people who have voiced such certainty about their own political beliefs would be so keen to back the idea that psychiatry can determine "correct beliefs" from "false beliefs." I mean, it's like something you used to hear was going on in the old Soviet Union.

Oh, wait...

bobbler, Atle, ukxmrv and 7 others like this.
  12. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Makes you wonder about the better means of saving people from them selves - organised famine or the bullet in the back of the head.

There was probably a forerunner of the SMC promoting Lysenko.

Sisyphus and andypants like this.
  13. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When we make the glorious omelette, no one will remember a few eggs.

obeat, Arnie Pye, ukxmrv and 3 others like this.
  14. tornandfrayed

tornandfrayed Established Member (Voting Rights)

JohnTheJack likes this.
  15. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

Nothing of great interest, but some good background stuff. I like the way the Institute of Ideas is described as 'left-wing'.

Two things stood out. This paragraph, Fiona talking about Claire:

She held very strong views and there were massive rows, mainly about her becoming a communist. She’d come home from university and lecture my mum and dad. We were a devout Catholic family who knelt down to pray every night, and two out of the six prayers we were made to say began: “Please, God, deliver the world from communism.” I still say a Hail Mary each time I get in the car, and I bet Claire does too. Communist or not, nobody in the Fox family ever left the Catholic Church.

And that Fiona has cystic fibrosis. I didn't know that. Tough for her.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.