1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Article: Brain studies show chronic fatigue syndrome and Gulf War illness are distinct conditions

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Andy, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-10-brain-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-gulf.html

2. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

With so many similar symptoms, it makes one wonder if some Gulf War Illness patients might actually have ME/CFS. I don't think there's any reason to believe that being a Gulf War veteran would lower one's risk of getting CFS, but a history of Gulf War service no doubt increases your odds of getting a GWI diagnosis. I'm just thinking of the case where a Gulf War veteran happens to develop CFS and it's mistaken for GWI due to his/her military service.

By contrast, I'd be surprised if one could get a GWI diagnosis without being a Gulf War veteran.

3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Chances are higher that those people with childhood CFS (diagnosed or not) will not get into the military, so if there is a genetic component to the chance that somebody will develop CFS then military personnel are less likely to - I have no stats at all to back that up, it just seems that it would be logical.

Chezboo, Sarah94, Ravn and 7 others like this.
  4. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good point! It's easy to forget that adult percentages, such as the .422% obtained by Jason, don't, so far as I know, exclude adults who became sick as children.

ETA:

It seems like children have better CFS recovery rates than adults. Even so, those who recover still might be less likely to enter military service.

5. Marco

Marco Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Or whatever combination of conditions gulf war vets encountered include those likely to trigger or unmask an ME-like chronic condition.

merylg, WillowJ, Ravn and 2 others like this.
  6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ravn, alktipping, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  7. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not surprising Baraniuk oversaw this given his historical overlapping emphasis. I kind of like that he doesn't hold back when he labels ME/CFS and GWS "diseases of the brain." He joins Natelson in this regard, if I recall correctly. I personally would have preferred if he opined "diseases that effect the brain."

Still treading dangerous ground. I found the "negative emotion" and PTSD references disturbing. I'd be curious to know more about what they are actually doing with these fMRI tests, during the tests, to evoke responses.

The article gets some things wrong, too, like PEM primarily follows physical exertion. Maybe for the larger subset, but this is still misleading.

All-in-all, a good piece. Mixed signals, though.

merylg, Anna H, WillowJ and 4 others like this.
  8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Prior research by Baraniuk on differences between ME and GWI: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-15383-9.

Exercise – induced changes in cerebrospinal fluid miRNAs in Gulf War Illness, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and sedentary control subjects

merylg, Anna H, WillowJ and 4 others like this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Anna H, rvallee, Ravn and 3 others like this.
  10. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dr. Klimas has also done research using tests that were able to distinguish patients with ME/CFS from patients with Gulf War Illness and also from controls.

But don't ask me to explain it!

I know there's a thread on the forum somewhere but not up to searching at the moment. But I do have the link to this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TizGFYJyLo

merylg, Anna H, WillowJ and 3 others like this.
  11. beverlyhills

beverlyhills Established Member (Voting Rights)

Most GWI patients are men of diverse race and have normal BMIs. Soldiers would have 10-20% the the risk of a random person.

ME/CFS Skeptic and Amw66 like this.
  12. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I believe this difficulty has been discussed as some of them haven't been to the Gulf, yet still appear to have GWI. A rename was discussed, parallels were drawn to diagnoses given in other wars (some of which were likely PTSD, so not all the same thing). I'm not up to locating the papers right now.

13. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't follow. ME patients are of diverse race/ethnicity. (Even if mainly well-off white middle aged women are getting diagnosed, we know from population-based studies that everyone gets ME, including in other countries. Military doctors are maybe a bit less biased in diagnosis, however, and GWI probably has different stigmas, rather than having ME's "bored/stressed housewife/working woman" stigma.)

The BMIs of ME patients are all over the place, from normal to high to underweight. (Most people I see in studies or pictures of look pretty normal.)

Being a soldier would be correlated with normal BMI (can't be too high as you have to stay in shape: can't be too low or you might not pass the strength and endurance testing).

Being a soldier is correlated with being a man. Women are definitely soldiers but it's still quite a bit less common (in the US, anyway).

While getting diagnosed with ME is correlated with being a woman, men do get it. We aren't sure the sex ratio of who has it, because most people with ME aren't diagnosed and our data is not good enough.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    Sisyphus, mango, Snow Leopard and 3 others like this.
  14. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would like to see the published study. Wondering whether this reflects greater effort to maintain the same performance post-exercise.

spinoza577 likes this.
  15. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just a bit of trivia, but one of the epidemics was in an army barracks among male soldiers.

Sisyphus and Amw66 like this.
  16. Sly Saint

Veterans study suggest two sub-types of Gulf War illness
    Georgetown University Medical Center
    full article here:
    https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-12/gumc-vss121019.php

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Michelle, andypants, rvallee and 4 others like this.
  17. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if there are some who have moved from one group to another. My daughter did not have OI issues until this year.

Louie41 likes this.
  18. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not sure if it was in relation to this study or another, but someone raised an interesting possibility that the two types of GWS could be GWS and GWS in conjunction with ME.

19. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Free full text:

https://academic.oup.com/braincomms...1093/braincomms/fcz039/5673581?searchresult=1

Michelle, Sly Saint, mango and 4 others like this.
  20. Sly Saint

Another article
    Brain Imaging of Veterans Suggests Gulf War Illness More Complex Than Previously Thought
    full article here:
    https://scitechdaily.com/brain-imag...illness-more-complex-than-previously-thought/

rvallee, Wonko and Andy like this.