1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

American Council on Science and Health: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Progress Towards Diagnosis And Treatment, Finally?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Kalliope, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Progress Towards Diagnosis And Treatment, Finally?

Article is written by Henry I. Miller, physician and Senior Fellow at the Pacific Research Institute. He has also been a Research Fellow at the National Institutes of Health and the founding director of the Office of Biotechnology at the FDA.

The article mentions the IOM-report, the nano needle, the hypothesis of an up-regulation of a specific receptor (CRF2), cardio-pulmonary exercise tests and the NIH conference in April.

It’s early days, but we seem to be closing in on understanding, diagnosing, and maybe even treating one of our species’ truly awful afflictions. The glacial pace of progress serves as a reminder that we need to pursue a variety of research approaches and to get expeditious regulatory reviews of treatments once they reach clinical trials.

MEMarge, Starlight, andypants and 9 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Looks like a well-intentioned article but listed signs and symptoms leads, as per normal, with fatigue, and gives a poor definition of PEM. Also suggests that there are no definite symptoms ("The signs and symptoms may include ...").
    https://www.acsh.org/news/2019/09/1...-toward-diagnosis-and-treatment-finally-14285

3. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That’s a really unhelpful way to describe someone who is clearly sympathetic to ME/CFS sufferers.

4. TheBassist

TheBassist Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I get annoyed by the unclear and uncommitted terminology and definitions. Was admittedly too ill to read the whole thing, but this thing either has these core symptoms or it does not. No “may” or “can” about it. Same with treatments and cures. Either they work (statistically safe peer reviewed conclusions) in which case they are “medicine”, or they do not (“herbs”, “ancient medicine”, “alternative medicine” etc).

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019