1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Action for ME: The PACE trial and behavioural treatments for M.E. [position statement]

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Action for M.E.

Action for M.E. Established Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @Cheshire and @Andy for sharing our statement, and many thanks to all who have shared feedback so far. Sonya (Chowdhury, our Chief Executive) and I will take time to read it all and share with the team as appropriate. I am in transit today and tomorrow, but plan to come back and respond to questions and comments before the end of the week.

Best wishes
    Clare Ogden
    Head of Communications and Engagement
    Action for M.E.

2. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought I would use this opportunity to give Dr Phil Hammond another prod:
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1034776162785001472

https://twitter.com/user/status/1034776170804457477

By endorsing a charity which has signed the open letter to The Lancet he is half-way there. To have someone with such a high profile on side would be extremely helpful but I am not optimistic. He may have been prepared to risk sacrificing his BBC job for the sake of a very popular cause (from which his celebrity status and public image will benefit) but I doubt he has the courage to jeopardise his NHS job by speaking out for such an unfashionable cause. I hope he proves me wrong.

ladycatlover, MEMarge, MeSci and 16 others like this.
  3. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I must agree that I don't think we're best served by having lots of relatively small charities. If people want to donate to cancer research in the UK, it's a no-brainer to donate to Cancer Research UK, because they're massive and have a promotional budget to match, presumably. Potential donors don't have to weigh up all the pros and cons of lots of different organisations and just give up because they're confused or repelled by the ugly atmosphere, as is the case with ME. And a single charity (or just one or two) with relatively large budgets could get more serious research done, and make it easier for researchers to apply for funding.

4. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would agree. This is still good news but they just can’t seem to hop off that damn fence completely....

ladycatlover, MEMarge, Alvin and 10 others like this.
  5. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

YES! I completely agree with this and have been saying it for a long time.

Careers, egos and reputations must not be prioritised over patients’ best interests, whether we are talking about researchers, doctors, establishment figures or people working for charities. As a community we have such limited resources and yet so much of what is done by UK ME charities is either competiting with one another or duplicating each other’s efforts. Let’s have a new charity, taking the best from each, with a clear set of principles and objectives that everybody can support.

Perhaps this would be more appropriate as a new thread?

6. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree that's a new topic so if you'd like it to be discussed further, a new thread would be a good idea. :)

ladycatlover, MEMarge, Simone and 2 others like this.
  7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An issue in the ME world is I think it is important that people with the illness along with family members (who live with them) are involved in a lot of the decision-making. This is easier to do with smaller charities. A lot of the bad decisions in the field have been made by CEOs and the like (Chris Clark, Mary-Jane Willlows, etc.).

If the biopsychosocial model becomes less important, this may become less of a concern.

8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Interested to hear how @Action for M.E. materials will be reviewed. I would hope there would be patient involvement rather than as in the guide to Pacing, being written by an CFS/ME clinic. CFS/ME clinics have less expertise than patients- see @Keela Too blogs on pacing for content that is actually useful. Also see the advice given to former world champion cyclist Mark Cavendish about complete rest following EBV infection. Thanks in part to lack of clarity in AFME pacing guide combined with disinterested Dr I started to try to go back to work on phased return when I could have stayed off and rested for several months on sick pay. Who knows whether I would have eventually had to retire anyway but it is possible resting would have been beneficial. I don’t think BACME will be supportive of saying that resting is an appropriate strategy for ME patients and it needs to be highlighted so people know it may help.

ladycatlover, MEMarge, Inara and 15 others like this.
  9. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I winced there, too. First rule of apologizing: you're not apologizing for others' "feelings". You're apologizing for your inadvisable or hurtful actions.

10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Additional points I’ve remembered:
    The Arthritis charity in my country had a very insulting rheumatologist give talks about Fibromyalgia. He’s now deceased but had some terrible views: biopsychosocial plus his own weird theories (e.g. people with ME and Fibromyalgia can’t drink alcohol but if they could, they’d all be alcoholics). The arthritis charity is run by lots of professional people with little sign of much patient involvement. The chances of knowledgeable patients picking him would be tiny.

One of the national MS charities in the UK has been supporting Rona Moss-Morris and Trudie Chalder with research on CBT which is a very similar model to the CFS model. Again I wonder how much patients were involved in this decision.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  11. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I totally agree, and they needed to clearly and emphatically reject the behavioural model of ME/CFS and the use of CBT/GET (and all watered down forms of these treatments), and totally acknowledge the harm caused, and still being caused by these treatments and the depth of their part in all of this, which they've failed to do.

As as for still going along with BACME......unbelievable.

12. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

To be fair the apology did seem sincere and SC may have had to follow legal advice on how she phrased it. Pure speculation on my part, but maybe she ran it by some people who advised her that a sincere apology containing an admission of having caused harm could make it easier for others to establish legal liability later. Like I said, I would have overlooked the shortcomings in her apology if it hadn't been for the GET and BACME drivel ruining their statement further down.

ladycatlover, MEMarge, Inara and 18 others like this.
  13. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you xx

14. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that may be true. A lawyer would watch out for that.

15. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for the invite ... but I'll give it a miss :).

16. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Well I was thinking of setting up a "Feel TiredSam's Arse" booth as a christmas fundraiser, but seeing as you've been so discouraging, I won't now.

17. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Absolutely.

Maggie, ladycatlover, ukxmrv and 8 others like this.
  18. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think I’m on the fence about this news...budge up action for me ...there’s not enough room ...!

At least it’s movement ...has anyone tweeted this to MS?

I’m sorry that Sonia felt that some patients might feel that they....oh what’s the point ...hrmmph

19. sea

sea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes that was my thoughts too.

Thankyou @Action for M.E. for the statement. It’s a step forward, but not far enough. I hope you do take note of the feedback on this thread.

20. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Yes, a substantial step forward, and thanks to AfME for that.

But they still need to take at least one more and ditch any form of GET, and any association with BACME.