1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Action for ME terminates, by mutual agreement with the University of Bristol, contract to fund Crawley study

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Just announced on the AfME Facebook page

2. Liv aka Mrs Sowester

Liv aka Mrs Sowester Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well that slip is most certainly telling.
    (My bold)

3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Come on, don't fund Crawley. She's incompetent and will just delay real help for these children by publishing poor science.

Plus you're making a laughing stock of yourself by funding someone who thinks the illness can be treated by telling it to stop.

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

This study gives me the horrors. Imagine Crawley having access to details of children with severe ME all over the country. And I thought she has said severe ME doesn't exist and re-diagnoses them with Treatment refusal syndrome or what ever other name she gives it. Aaaargh!

5. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe AfME have been bottling out, and saying so behind the scenes, provoking the need to find alternative funding? They would hardly announce it that way of course.

6. Barry

Presumably the donor would have to be made publicly known at some point?

7. Barry

Absolutely. Don't think I'd trust her with a hamster.

8. Bluesky

Bluesky Established Member (Voting Rights)

it is rather scary crawley having list of severely ill children.

9. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agree, except Crawleys idea of severe is not necessarily what is generally considered severe.

"The £6,000 with which Action for M.E. funded this study was contributed by a private corporate donor with a specific interest in seeing the alleviation of childhood suffering."

maybe the donor found out/realised the funds were actually going to contibute to more suffering(?)

10. guest001

guest001 Guest

It's the 'corporate' word that is ominous to me. It should be possible to find out just 'who' they are surely? Plus their vested interests... which can't be to improve life for children with ME as they'd steer as far clear of EC as it's possible to be...

11. guest001

guest001 Guest

As an animal lover... heaven's no!

12. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

It sounds like AfME may be changing their story on what the funding was given for. At one point they seemed to be suggesting it was given for Crawley's specific project rather than for "the alleviation of childhood suffering"

13. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's £6000, piddling amounts whatever way.

Very useful for them to be able to channel it into the essentially old AyME which folded due to struggling for funds. Helps to separate afme from Crawley with criticism of their connection.

Anything AFME do outside "support" is pretty irrelevant. They don't change anything or want to or if they do want yo they're spectacularly ineffective

14. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

AYME folded not AfME but I think that is what you meant.

Wonko, Barry, Invisible Woman and 2 others like this.
  15. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've corrected it, yes I meant that.

16. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Surely a good sign that they're placing greater distance between themselves and Crawley?

It's a weird statement, but Action for ME aren't really known for clear and insightful communication.

Webdog, Joh, ladycatlover and 20 others like this.
  17. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

That's how I read it as well. Esther Crawley has become a toxic commodity. AYME folded into AfME without bringing her along, AfME stopped verbally supporting her research, and essentially disavowed SMILE when it was published. Now AfME is even withdrawing promised funding.

It's not like money is falling from the sky, even for psychosomatic quacks, and with the amount of garbage Crawley is willing to churn out, she could probably use the funding for it. How often do researchers really say "Thanks, but I don't want or need more funding"? They don't - if they get more funding they expand the project to include more patients or more testing, etc. That would be especially useful in assessing severe patients who can't leave their homes, assuming the researcher is able to acknowledge that such patients exist :p

18. Seven

Seven Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agreed!!! also, would be nice, to keep in mind she is just a puppet for the BPS giants, she can be interchangeable, we need to expose the puppeteer also and follow the trail so she cannot be easily replaced while we have the dog by its tail.

19. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It just can't be true. :x3:

It's not the first time I think I must be doing something wrong. So many people get so much money by offering crap. I just don't get the real dumb ideas...

That was one of my first thoughts, too.

20. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I really hope this is just spin and bullshit to allow some face-saving, dressing up the fact that they've finally done the right thing and told Crawley where to shove it, in the best possible light.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    adambeyoncelowe, Graham, Joh and 22 others like this.