1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Action for ME has joined S4ME

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by April, Mar 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think things have changed a lot in the last few months. MEGA per se is off the menu. When something gets back on the menu I think it is much more likely to involved the LSHTM Biobank now.

Sean, JohnTheJack, janice and 14 others like this.
  2. Daisy

Daisy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree with @Alvin that AfME have been trying to have the best of both worlds.

I recall that years ago I had a phone call from them when I cancelled my membership. I told them that it was because of their support for the PACE trial. The response was deafening silence. I can't been the only person to raise this yet there appeared to be no effort to address the concerns of members.

It was an especially sensitive issue for me at the time as through the data protection act I had discovered that Peter White was advising my insurance company to refuse my claim on the grounds that I have not had "optimal treatment" of CBT / GET.

More recently I do think that AfME are far too willing to ban / block people on social media who disagree with them. I have experience of this after a Twitter exchange which consisted of courteous disagreement with their stance. Disagreement is not harassment it is disagreement!

This reminds me of some parts of the NHS where patient engagement is only listened to when the views expressed are what the CCG / Provider want to hear.

I really don't see how I can trust AfME in the future if they continue to be unable to acknowledge that mistakes have been made in the past. It is not good enough to say that people have moved on or that views have changed. As an organisation they need to take responsibility for the consequences of their actions, irrespective of the individuals involved at the time.

As far as I am concerned the AfME "brand" is seriously tarnished. As things stand I certainly wouldn't want AfME anywhere near the Biobank.

3. Daisy

Daisy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Having thought about this further I think that a big problem is that AfME don't think there is a problem. I suspect that they are of the view that they have skillfully negotiated a path between BPS and biomedical to maximise revenue over the years and so continue to perpetuate themselves as an organisation.

Lip service is given to engagement with patients via social media or forums such as this, but when it gets down to the nitty gritty AfME continue to prevaricate or simply block those who disagree with them.

How an organisation responds to criticism and negative feedback is a good indication of the culture within their organisation, the robustness of their processes and procedures, and their approach to change and improvement.

If what I have seen of AfME over the years is a good indicator of their culture then without a significant shift in approach I have little hope for positive change.

Joh, Alvin, ukxmrv and 10 others like this.
  4. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well I have taken a leaf out of their book.

I let my membership lapse years ago and recently received a letter asking if they could still keep in touch. Given how they respond to posts they don't like I shredded it.

AfME are now blocked from personal contact and will remain so until the situation changes. I'm not holding my breath.

5. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think we have signed it yet, have we? (as a group)

ladycatlover, Hutan, Binkie4 and 9 others like this.
  6. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Good thtought, @MeSci. @Andy might know?

7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Simple answer, no we haven't. Should we? It predates the existence of S4ME by 7-8 months, and is now 13 months old itself, is it now worth us consulting our members to make sure that it is something they would like us to do (no matter how certain we might that it will be) and then getting our name put on it?

ladycatlover, Hutan, Binkie4 and 7 others like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

@dave30th , any thoughts on this?

ladycatlover, Allele, Binkie4 and 5 others like this.
  9. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can we sign the open letter? If so we should put it to a membership vote. I would vote to do so.

10. Bill

Bill Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If we are to be a community based on members having voting rights, I can't think of a better first measure.

I'd expect near unanimity in the membership. I do think that votes for a forum signature to such documents should require a standard for passage that is well above that of a simple majority vote and one that reflects a clear consensus.

Signing the Open Letter is something I expect would gather near-unanimous support.

Let's do it. It would add more support to the effort. It would include S4ME in the mix of "players." And it would make members feel involved as voting members of the forum in our first test of that privilege.

All wins. No downsides that I can see.

Bill

Skycloud, ladycatlover, MeSci and 8 others like this.
  11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Sadly, no. They do have a long way to go.
    I hope they listen to our constructive criticisms.

12. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just looking thro AfMEs Scottish Hub literature:
    "
    Action for M.E. has co-funded the UK’s first biobank for ME-CFS, an essential
    piece of research infrastructure
    "

https://www.actionforme.org.uk/uploads/managing-me-a-guide-for-gps-in-scotland.pdf

no mention of the organisations actually listed on the Biobank site:

https://cureme.lshtm.ac.uk/participants/

and on professional bodies CMRC, BACME and IACFS/ME (?)

and then there is also the usual stuff on CBT.

IMO as far as advocacy goes @Emsho did more to expose the truth in ten minutes than AfME have managed in years.

MEMarge, Woolie, ladycatlover and 7 others like this.
  13. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And yet they are involved in the parliamentary briefing document.

Inara likes this.
  14. Invisible Woman

That doesn't even begin to start to make up for all the other stuff they've also been involved with. Including PACE.

ukxmrv, ladycatlover, Alvin and 2 others like this.
  15. Sunshine3

My point is that AfME should not be involved in the drafting of the parliamentary briefing document at all.

16. Invisible Woman

Aha the penny drops: I thought you were defending them!o_O

ladycatlover and Sunshine3 like this.
  17. Sunshine3

Nope!!

ladycatlover and Invisible Woman like this.
  18. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think AFME were just given the peter white pain study, if that's what is being referred to, to continue once the group "CFS something or other" folded when their CEO " Anne someone" died a few years ago. They had been funding it and as a group who favoured the CFS name I'm sure AFME were seen as the natural inheritor.

Edit . The link says this too:

"Action for M.E. took over the management of this study in July 2014, following the closure of the CFS Research Foundation, which had already secured and allocated funding for it."

Inara and Invisible Woman like this.
  19. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Action for M.E. – Placing Patient Views at the Heart of a New Research Strategy
    December 6, 2013

Discussion with Sonia Chowdhury at the other place I had not read before.

https://phoenixrising.me/archives/20781

I didn't realise Stephen Holgate was their Research Advisor at the time;

Still no full exposure of the PACE trial 5 years later.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    ukxmrv, Nellie, TiredSam and 7 others like this.
  20. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Would be nice if they could put science at the heart of the new research strategy.....

Hutan, Webdog and Wonko like this.