1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Action for ME: GP home visits under threat

Discussion in 'General disability topics and advocacy' started by Andy, Nov 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My caree has had several this year.

ladycatlover and Sarah94 like this.
  2. Gecko

Gecko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Motion passed - shockingly

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/gps-vote-for-home-visits-to-be-removed-from-contract/20039743.article?utm_source=Pulse Views Newsletter

Not much comment on twitter but what I can see on the whole seems to think this is a bonkers idea:
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1197869501636894721

Edit: On a personal note: I have been able to access home visits when I've been entirely housebound, at both GP practices I've been registered with, but I realise this appears to be an extremely fortunate situation to be in.

3. Michelle

Michelle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In my city (Portland OR - so not in the UK) we have a practice that does only home visits. I wonder if it might be worth NHS putting together home-visits only surgeries? For many years I was on Coumadin, and I remember asking my clinic what would happen if I was too ill to make it to clinic to have my INR checked. The nurse always looked at me blankly. It was clear the idea that someone couldn't get to the clinic just simply didn't register. Dragging myself in there every week or two sucked away so much functional capacity. Thankfully that home-visit practice was able to take over my care when I simply couldn't get to the clinic any longer in 2011. God knows what would have happened to me without them.

According to The Guardian, the Health Minister Matt Hancock says the idea of dropping home visits is "a non-starter."

ahimsa, ladycatlover, Andy and 2 others like this.
  4. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's just coz it would be politically unpopular with his voters and probably end his career.

I am led to believe that the majority of the current governments voters are of advanced years, so may be slightly attached to the idea that a GP would visit if needed.

It is well known that the government will not withdraw a much loved and needed service.

What they 'may' do is redefine 'needed' so that it has only ever applied to 3 people, all of whom died in 1785.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    ladycatlover, Gecko, Amw66 and 2 others like this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The health secretary seems to have blocked this proposal for stopping home visits.

6. Forestvon

Forestvon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Whenever I speak to a different Gp (never about ME) if poss I ask what they know about ME and tell them about the probs with GET and NICE being revised now and if they visit I give them at least one Lauras comic strip and ME awareness leaflet and asked last one if he could take more and he did.
    Download www.mechat.co.uk/db/tips.htm
    Also send them Dr Hngs book.

rvallee and ladycatlover like this.