1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Academy Award Nomination Announcements; January 23, 2018

Discussion in 'Advocacy Action Alerts' started by MErmaid, Jan 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Will Unrest survive the cut, from 15 to 5, and acquire the sought after Academy Award Nomination for “Best Documentary Feature”? Find out on January 23, 2018.

Meanwhile, visit this thread to see what you can do to help get Jen on the red carpet.

:emoji_trophy::emoji_dancer::emoji_balloon::emoji_champagne::emoji_clap:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Jan, Barry, Invisible Woman and 10 others like this.
  2. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My understanding is that the voting by various committees for nominees has already concluded, having ended last Friday 1/12/2018.

http://www.oscars.org/news/academy-and-abc-announce-key-dates-90th-oscars

Final voting by members begins on February 20th and ends February 27th, keeping in mind that voting in the documentary category is limited to those members who have seen all of the nominated documentary features.

There's no reason not to continue the effort to raise awareness about "Unrest" on the hope it has been be nominated, but whether or not it was nominated has already been decided, it just hasn't been announced yet [unless I'm totally misreading the schedule].

Jan, Barry, Invisible Woman and 8 others like this.
  3. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Yes, in my optimism, I voted for hope, and thus hopefully assumed she acquired the Nomination.

I bought a black sequined evening dress, red pumps, bottle of champagne, and a few party favors :party:.. and as they say, “The Show Must Go On!!”

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    MEMarge, Jan, Barry and 6 others like this.
  4. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I expect to see a photo of you in that dress and pumps. :D

5. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good point, but the things we suggest on the other thread (rating on every platform, writing reviews, making the film listed as "popular" on Netflix etc.) are not (only) for the Oscars but for making the film more visible and interesting for the public and journalists, doctors etc. It's more about getting as many people as possible to watch it and making the most of this opportunity in general and I hope we can keep it up after the Oscars.

MEMarge, Jan, Andy and 8 others like this.
  6. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Events are listed in Hollywood time (Pacific Standard Time). Here are the details:

https://www.oscars.org/news/90th-oscars-nominations-announcement

The 90th Academy Awards® nominations in all 24 Oscar® categories will be announced in a two-part, live presentation on Tuesday, January 23, via global live stream on Oscar.com, Oscars.org, the Academy’s digital platforms, a satellite feed and local broadcasters. The announcement will combine live presentations from the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater, with pre-taped category introductions, which will only be featured in the first half of the announcement.

At 5:22 a.m. PST, the nominees will be announced in the following categories (listed here in no particular order): Cinematography, Costume Design, Film Editing, Makeup and Hairstyling, Original Score, Production Design, Animated Short Film, Live Action Short Film, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing and Visual Effects.

At 5:38:30 a.m. PST, the nominees will be announced in the following categories (listed here in no particular order): Actor in a Leading Role, Actor in a Supporting Role, Actress in a Leading Role, Actress in a Supporting Role, Animated Feature Film, Directing, Documentary Feature, Documentary Short Subject, Foreign Language Film, Original Song, Best Picture, Adapted Socreenplay and Original Screenplay.

7. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Sure, but only if you post a selfie in your party attire. :emoji_dancers: :emoji_champagne_glass:

MEMarge and Little Bluestem like this.
  8. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That strikes me as an odd time to make an announcement. Everyone else will be in bed. And why down to the second?

Invisible Woman and MErmaid like this.
  9. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

It’s a new process this year! I plan to wake up and watch the LiveStream, then post the results here.

MEMarge, Trish and Little Bluestem like this.
  10. Joh

Unrest is down to 8.3 stars on IMDb thanks to more negative votes. This is purely political, Unrest is simply not a 1 to 4 star movie. In addition the 1-star gang attacks Jen Brea on Twitter and uses hashtags like #pbsunrest and #timeforunrest when doing so to discredit her publicly. They can't stop this worldwide movement but it's still so destructive and annoying.

11. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Thanks for driving this, and letting us know. It is very destructive and annoying that people are publically attacking an award winning film that aims to bring ME awareness to the masses. I will ask more friends to participate in the voting.

A few unhinged folks will not stop our worldwide movement!! :emoji_muscle: :emoji_wheelchair:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  12. Seven

Seven Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I tried to rate from all devices but knew it was me, I am voting ehreywhere I could netflix, imdb...

MErmaid, Invisible Woman and Joh like this.
  13. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, this is one reason why it is good that in order to vote for a documentary feature you must have seen all five nominated documentaries.

I think that people who have seen the documentaries with their own eyes are unlikely to be influenced much - if at all - by negative IMDB reviews. I'm also guessing that the majority of people who will be voting in this category will be other documentary filmmakers, and my impression is that they are a pretty independent lot.

[One of my college professors was a documentarian. Here he is winning the Academy Award for Best Documentary Short for "The Redwoods" in 1968... Please excuse Trevor's long-winded acceptance speech:).]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmrlQeSKedw

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Joh, MErmaid, Valentijn and 3 others like this.
  14. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Welcome to the S4ME Oscar Nomination Party!! Caviar, champagne, and o’dourves are in abundance.

We are counting down to the Academy Award Nominations!!! With just a little more than 3 hours to go, I am feeling the buzz of excitement!!

The livestream event starts at 5:22 AM PST, with the Best Documentary Feature announcement anytime after 5:38 AM PST.

http://oscar.go.com/news/nominations/watch-the-oscars-2018-nominations-live-stream

AB014C2A-BC31-4E05-B27D-9D31427CAB29.jpeg

MEMarge, Arnie Pye, Joh and 4 others like this.
  15. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

:emoji_fingers_crossed::emoji_fingers_crossed:

Fingers crossed, legs crossed, arms crossed....
    ... hot crossed buns (oh, they are an English pastry) :emoji_grinning:

DA013A61-E1C6-43D8-9939-BF53380E904B.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    MEMarge, Barry, Joh and 1 other person like this.
  16. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

17. Joh

The second part is now on! I'm so excited!!!

MErmaid likes this.
  18. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sad face.

Barry, MErmaid and Joh like this.
  19. Joh

And it's over. :(:(:(

Barry and MErmaid like this.
  20. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

48ECD089-8465-476F-AD1A-6F072CC147E2.jpeg

Joh likes this.