1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A proposal for ME Action: a commitment to evidence-based medicine

Discussion in 'General Advocacy Discussions' started by ME/CFS Skeptic, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Michiel, please add my name:
    <name now deleted for family privacy>

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  2. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Great letter, Michiel.

Please add my name as well.

[removed name as it is already signed and doesn’t need to stay in the post]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Actually Michiel, so sorry to be a pain, but can I change that to
    I'm actually not an 'ME patient' as my doctor said that she'd just look after my non-ME health needs as she doesn't know anything about ME. And I'm not very patient.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  4. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No problem, hope it's ok now and that I haven't misunderstood.

Hutan and alktipping like this.
  5. Wilhelmina Jenkins

Wilhelmina Jenkins Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Michiel Tack , I don’t think that it would be appropriate for me to sign since I am involved in other areas of the Values and Policies initiative, but it’s a good statement and I applaud you for creating it. I’m always happy when people treat new scientific hypotheses with skepticism and caution.

6. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would like to sign....thank you for the work on this. I think it looks very good.
    Daisybell, person with ME and moderator on the S4ME forum.

7. ME/CFS Skeptic

Ok thanks, Wilhelmina.

MEMarge and Wilhelmina Jenkins like this.
  8. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks. I think it's a noble sentiment, and I can't see anything wrong with the text of your letter. However, I'm cautious about holding up so called 'evidence based medicine' as beyond reproach. EBM, and what is judged to qualify as EBM, is what's been used by policy makers to oppress us over the last 30 or 40 years. That last sentence is probably straying into hyperbole, but I think expresses what may be a concern for some people. Who says what is and isn't EBM? Depending on how advanced the field is and where investment has been made the weight of evidence my be skewed against the interests of patients.

But, of course all medicine should be based on the best available evidence.

For a critique of EBM read this piece by Bruce Charlton.
    Zombie science of evidence-based medicine

alktipping, Annamaria and Sarah94 like this.
  9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I've just read it. It's a long rant that has a few ideas lost among the ranting. I think his main argument is that 'clinical epidemiology' which seems to mean doctors doing what they have observed to work, being replaced with clinical trials and meta analyses and NICE guidelines. He describes this as a cook book approach and thinks it's a bad thing.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  10. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Aren’t we just saying we want to be clear that the statement definitely does not mean that we think the organisation should support the current flavour of the month known as Evidence Based Medicine or EBM. We simply think it should support basing medical practice on sound evidence. Can’t that be put in a covering email?

11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I'm still not clear what the problem is with EBM. Surely it's better for doctors to base their practice on scientific evidence, including that from double blind controlled trials, rather than on what they've always done or what they were taught at medical school, or what they've tried out on a few patients and seemed to work.

How else do we replace 'stomach ulcers are a sign of stress, treat with therapy' with 'ulcers are caused by H pylori infection, treat with antibiotics'.

Edit: Apologies, I misunderstood. Should have read the following sentence more carefully.

alktipping and NelliePledge like this.
  12. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

That’s what I said in the second sentence @Trish. It’s not about the EBM label it’s about actually having sound evidence. Maybe I’m dancing on a pin head but the BPS folks are no doubt all claiming they’re doing EBM.

13. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it is a fair point that there is a problem with EBM in capitals, not with evidence based medicine.

There is certainly a problem that people who make a living out of extolling EBM, like Paul Glazsiou, are not helpful to a reliable evidence base - quite the opposite.

14. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Happy to put my name to this @Michiel Tack.
    Bea Ravn, PwME, active when able on S4ME and in M.E. Awareness NZ.

15. ME/CFS Skeptic

Thank you Ravn, also for your help in drafting the letter. Will add you to the list.

MSEsperanza and Ravn like this.
  16. Griffin

Griffin Established Member

I wonder if the fact that ME Action is a US organisation (with international outposts) means that EBM is missing is more of an issue in the UK with the BPS brigade than it is in the US? Not a reason to ignore it, just perhaps an explanation why it got missed.

My pet peeve is that virtually all clinical trials in ME are very small and don't tell us any more than it is worth doing a bigger trial, and yet this is always reported by the media as amazing news and then taken up by the community, not surprisingly, as proving facts. I don't mean to underrate the progress and value from small trials as indicative, but that the reporting in the media is an issue.

17. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it may be the way around. All advocacy groups are pretty much agreed that treatments like CBT and GET are not based on good evidence. The need to emphasise evidence quality is because ‘biomedical’ (drugs or surgery) treatments based on just as weak evidence are not similarly being called out. If anything that would seem to be a bigger problem in the US.

paolo, alktipping, Annamaria and 12 others like this.
  18. Anna H

Anna H Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @Michiel Tack!

You can add my name as well:
    Lotta Hahn, ME-patient since 2012

MSEsperanza and Ravn like this.
  19. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Please add me, too, @Michiel Tack:

MSEsperanza, ill with ME since 1998, officially diagnosed with "CFS" in 2005, S4ME forum member since 2017.

ME/CFS Skeptic likes this.
  20. ME/CFS Skeptic

MSEsperanza and Anna H like this.