1. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 12th October 2020 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A meta-ethnography of people with chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) and their support needs, 2020, Pilkington et al

Discussion in 'PsychoSocial ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0277953620305888

Some of these have been involved with annoying papers in the past

Social Science & Medicine
    Available online 16 September 2020, 113369
    In Press, Journal Pre-proof

Hutan, Sean, ukxmrv and 2 others like this.
  2. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

what is with all these no blame frameworks ? . fraudsters in the world of medicine get away with causing immense suffering for their own personal gain and the patients are doubly insulted when said misconduct is eventually brought into focus and then dismissed as if no harm is done .

rvallee, Sean, ukxmrv and 6 others like this.
  3. spinoza577

spinoza577 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I ever thought that this is one of the main clues anyway. You cannot care for people if you handle them like things.

This indeed sheds light on some carers. - I have worked with old people as well as with handicapped ones, and should know a bit what I am saying. True, things are there often not the best, but most of the carers I had encountered have indeed cared for people, not for things.

I don´t consider myself for asking much. After all the sentence "explains" quite well why a complex disease is dismissed.

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The main theme over the last few years in MUS/FND/BPS has been over how to manipulate people into accepting their delusional fantasy, how to lie better and more convincingly. They know the patients see through the BS and so put all their efforts into masking the BS. Very Orwellian.

So obviously in building an ideology that blames patients for their imaginary non-medical illness, they have to sell the idea that they are not doing that, just like they use the ridiculous software-hardware analogy to pretend they don't mean psychogenic when they 100% mean psychogenic.

Liars lie when you reward their ability to lie. This field has been built entirely on promoting the best liars, the best manipulators, the most skilled at getting false consent as an exercise in box-ticking, knowing full-well they have no true consent.

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[​IMG]

Amw66 and alktipping like this.
  6. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Moderator Staff Member

That abstract strikes me as being a way to pull the wool over the eyes of patients and "ordinary" people. Fill it full of words that any normal person won't understand. What on earth is "meta ethnography"? I looked it up and still have no idea of what it is and what its relationship to this study is.

But of course that is my fault. I'm over 70 so my mind must have gone. I'm stupid because I don't understand the words they use. I really object to stuff like this - if you're publishing a paper in English please use PLAIN English so normal people can at least have a chance of understanding what the hell you're going on about. Grrr.

7. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

File under swallowed-a-dictionary-of-post-modernist-academic-speak gobbledygook.

Amw66, rvallee, ladycatlover and 5 others like this.