1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Cross-National Comparison of ME and CFS at Tertiary Care Settings from the US and Spain (2019) Castro-Marrero et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Hoopoe, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

http://onlinesciencepublishing.com/...T00450/1576732660_AJSSH-2020-5(1)-104-115.pdf

rvallee, Hutan, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  2. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fukuda?
    In a publication dated 2020?
    With L Jason as an author?
    :banghead:

Wha?

Andy, rvallee, ladycatlover and 2 others like this.
  3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is an enormous difference in the emotional functioning between the two cohorts: 70 for the US cohort, 20 for the Spain cohort.

Also some other major differences but this one really stands out.

adambeyoncelowe and Dolphin like this.
  4. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How representative were the samples of each country's population?
    How to compare such disparate groups, cultures?

The Spanish cohort were less educated, and more often married and working either part-time or full-time. No wonder they complained more.

Cheshire and Dolphin like this.
  6. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For example the Spanish cohort was a much higher percentage of the population than the US cohort.

N = 235 from the US and N = 185 from Spain.

7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow there is a huge difference in % on disability: 68% US vs 40% Spain. Huge differences in education too. Doesn't appear to include illness duration or onset. Living status appears high, I doubt the number of pwME in a relationship is this high overall. There is a very high arbitrariness to the sample, of patients who make it to tertiary care through hospitals. This is exceptionally rare and unlikely to be representative of the patient population, most of whom don't even have basic medical care (beyond "it's all in your head, now go away" anyway) based on their initial contacts with health care or their GP, if they have one.

I'm not sure what this study tells us. Different systems create different circumstances, doesn't tell us much about the patients themselves, not much about the systems either. It generally confirms the picture that things are awful and inadequate for the patients, I guess. And that there are indeed a huge number of symptoms, making the obsession with "feeling of tiredness" at the exclusion of everything else unproductive and misleading, but we knew that already.

The list of symptoms appears similar to what Ramsey found and consistent in both countries, FWIW. This is definitely useful. The "fatigue FATIGUE FATIGUE" obsession basically leaves out the vast majority of the illness profile. That's certainly extremely bad.

MeSci and shak8 like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

For some reason this came up in my alerts for papers recently published.
    Abstract is at different link to what is in the opening post of this thread, https://onlinesciencepublishing.com/abstract/22/450/

Yep, couldn't agree more.

Note also the continued language of separation, "Though myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) are debilitating conditions found all over the world", yet the abstract makes no distinction between ME and CFS when discussing results, which to me makes no sense - either they are investigating two things with differences between them, in which case they should report what they find for both things separately, or they are actually investigating one thing, in which case it seems reasonable to report the results as a whole.

Hutan, Snowdrop, Trish and 1 other person like this.