1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 RNZCGP /WONCA Conference in Auckland, NZ

Discussion in 'General Advocacy Discussions' started by RoseE, Sep 17, 2019.

1. RoseE

RoseE Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Intro:
    M.E. Awareness NZ are investigating how we can bring quality education sessions on ME/CFS to the 2020 RNZCGP (Royal NZ College of GPs) conference (perhaps cover MUS also?). This conference is being combined with WONCA Asia Pacific, so there will be a lot of overseas GPs attending as well. WONCA is a Global Family Doctor conference.

We may have funding to bring international speakers here. Who would be a dream presenter or team? to deliver a session to GPs and that falls within the 2020 focuses listed below.

Closing Dates for submissions:
    Abstract submissions close on 31st October 2019.
    http://www.woncanz2020.com/wonca20/call_for_abstracts/callforabstracts

2020 Theme:
    • Family Medicine leading the way towards an advanced world of equity, quality and compassion.
    • “During the conference we will explore the scientific and human contributions we can make to create a future that embraces progress, while still retaining the core values needed to move us towards the goal of equal health for all.”
    The conference will include the following sub themes:
    • Clinical research that informs daily practice
    • Ways to achieve a more equitable future with equal health outcomes for all
    • All aspects of Quality Improvement
    • The importance of compassion, of continuity of care and other core values of family practice
    • Innovation in health care delivery, integration
    • Benefits and potential harms of advances in technology
    • Sustainability in all its forms
    • Particular issues focusing on Rural Health
    Dates: 23 April - 26 April 2020

Details:

AliceLily, Simone, Cohen and 4 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

For starters (and I'm sure there are more):
    Jonathan Edwards or Brian Hughes - How to evaluate clinical research so that daily practice is well informed (with BPS trials as case studies)

David Tuller or Caroline Wilshire - The role of patients in improving the quality of medical care

Lucinda Bateman - Providing good care when there is no treatment - with ME/CFS as a case study

Heidi Nicoll, Emerge Australia - Telehealth with ME/CFS as a case study

Graham McGeoch, Canterbury District Health Board, NZ - Health Pathways system, with the ME/CFS pathway as a case study of how advances in clinical care can be promulgated

I'd happily donate to get those people to the conference.

AliceLily, Snowdrop, Simone and 6 others like this.
  3. RoseE

4. RoseE

Thanks @Hutan. So grateful for the way that you could link presenters to the themes :)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Ravn and Hutan like this.
  5. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Based on my very limited knowledge, knowledge of just one New Zealand GP, it does seem that this annual conference is well supported and highly regarded by GPs there.

If it can be used by a Lightning Process practitioner to gain access to the medical profession and indirectly to health planning, surely it can be used also as a force for good for people with ME.

Woolie, Simone, Andy and 5 others like this.
  6. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Please, please, can we have all of them? I know, I know, practicalities...

But I'd sponsor a side trip to Tiritiri Matangi Island for @Jonathan Edwards! Lots of beautiful birds :emoji_bird::emoji_bird::emoji_bird:- and the island trust runs an annual bird photo competition, too. Anything else we can tempt you with @Jonathan Edwards? And don't worry about flight emissions either, I'll get my husband to plant extra trees in our bush regeneration project to offset them. ;)

Heidi Nicholls could also talk about their new GP education thingy which I'm sure could be angled to cover several of the sub themes of the conference.

IIRC Lucinda Bateman was working on a Project Echo type thing, that could be interesting, too, and fit in with equitable and rural access.

7. Hutan

I had the same thought :) Yellow eyed penguins, albatrosses, sooty shearwaters down south; Miranda Shorebird Sanctuary - might catch the wrybills and godwits heading off to the Arctic; Zealandia for the kiwi and takahe and kaka...

Nice ideas for Heidi and Lucinda, Ravn.

8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Sticking my nose in wondering if Dr Nacul would be a possible option speaker? Maybe too busy with his new job in Canada and ongoing NICE involvement. He had worked with patient group @Suffolkres and were almost successful in getting a physician led service commissioned. So he knows what patients need from GPs and how things can be done better.

ladycatlover, Snowdrop, Ravn and 4 others like this.
  9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am afraid I will be at a conference in Glasgow on arthritis then but I am planning to get to NZ one of these days.

10. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’ve got kiwi just up the road in a DOC reserve..... you can stay @Jonathan Edwards !

11. Ravn

Let's book you in for the 2021 conference then ;)

ladycatlover, RoseE, ukxmrv and 2 others like this.
  12. Hutan

Another possible speaker is Dr Steve Olson, a regional director of Kaiser Permanente, which is a massive provider of medical care in the US. Thanks to @Webdog and Dr Olson, KP have changed the way that they deal with ME/CFS. See this thread.and the associated Tuller blog. Are you still in touch with him Webdog?

Dr Olson has said thing like this:
    He'd probably have a few interesting thoughts about Mel Abbot's talk to the last conference.

I think quite a few people overseas would be happy to have an airfare to NZ, some free accommodation and a bit of local hospitality in return for giving a speech. We should take advantage of that. The ME/CFS community should be able to raise money to get speakers here every year.

ladycatlover, RoseE, rvallee and 6 others like this.
  13. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think I might be gearing up for February 2021 for NZ. If there are relevant events then I might be able to get involved.

14. Ravn

IIRC the people at ME Awareness NZ are collecting dates for events of that sort (@RoseE).

An insider's tip from somebody who used to work for an inbound travel agent: if you don't have any particular reason for travelling in NZ in January or February consider avoiding those months, they are peak tourist season, expensive and busy. The same increasingly applies to December and March, my former colleagues tell me. April would be my pick, generally nice autumn weather and less busy.

On the other hand, recalling the year spent in the UK as a child, February is definitely a month when the lure of the antipodes becomes very tempting indeed.

Whenever you choose to come, you'll be welcome.

15. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We can get very cold southerly weather during this month. If you like warmer temperatures and taking a swim, Jan, Feb, March are best.

16. RoseE

Hi @Jonathan Edwards, re times to come to NZ...
    cc @Ravn

Key conferences held each year in NZ as follows:
    • May (3 days - 2nd week?) - RACP Congress (Royal Australasian College of Physicians) - Held alternately in Australia and NZ. This often has MUS sessions.
    • June (4 days - 2nd to last weekend?) - NZMA GP CME North (NZ Medical Association) - normally in Rotorua
    • July (4 days over last weekend) - RNZCGP (Royal NZ College of GPs) GP Conference - Note in 2020 will be in April instead & combined with Wonca.
    • August (4 days - 2nd weekend?) - NZMA GP CME South - Christchurch

We have started a google doc for conferences in Australasia, but it is a work in progress. But when you start to firm up your visit please get in touch with us.

Other opportunities:
    Obviously if you wanted to come when there are no conferences on (and should you have time in amongst the bird watching), we could look at organising some media interviews, meetings at universities & hospital Physicians, or more personalised presentation sessions with Physicians.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    ukxmrv, Cohen, Ravn and 2 others like this.
  17. RoseE

Just noting some more info I got from RNZCGP re the Wonca 2020 conference...

Ravn likes this.