1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

2014 Impact case study - Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) - CFS

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was a transcript of a recent podcast that gave me that impression.

Maybe these notes:

https://www.s4me.info/threads/rsm-t...hallenges-for-mental-health.5568/#post-100724

There was a bit about not talking enough to those they disagreed with in this interview from the same time too:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/heal...hood-and-life-as-a-top-psychiatrist-1-9331473

I thought that his more recent comments had indicated a bit of a move on from that earlier spin from Wessely, but now I'm not even sure I actually listened to the podcast I cited, so maybe I was getting ahead of myself.

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So he just wished he was more deceitful with regards to his intent and what he truly believes. He just wished there wasn't a decades-long record of him and his colleagues making mutually contradictory assertions (backed by no more than "may be"s and "could be"s), in speech but also in his published work.

"Diplomacy" isn't a concern here and we don't have any preferences as to the cause, we just want the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. This is what frustrates me the most about the psychosocial model: it's entirely deceitful, it hides its true intent and purpose. This is something that has no place in science, even less in medicine.

This is the fundamental thing that needs to be done to fix this disaster: STOP LYING! Medicine cannot work from a starting point of hiding your intent to the patient and straight into official clinical guidelines. It's even in the damn official documents used by practitioners that it is recommended to lie to them ("diplomatically", of course) by pretending to acknowledge that there is a disease then work right back to fixing this incorrect belief. It builds "trust" just like a con artist does.

All that is given away in other documents like the Christmas guide we saw recently: "there is no disease" and the placement of these services within mental health services. It's not even a convincing lie, it's all implausible denial. If lying was not permitted none of this would have happened and millions of lives would not have been destroyed on the hubris of mediocre narcissists.

ladycatlover, MEMarge and chrisb like this.