1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

“The real me shining through M.E.”: Visualizing masculinity and identity threat in men with ME/CFS using photovoice and IPA.- Wilde et al 2020

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Remember that
    So that is one of the things fathers are supposedly doing through involvement with youth sports!

sb4 likes this.
  2. Dolphin

Seems reasonable

3. Dolphin

Like others have alluded to, women with ME/CFS have many of the same experiences as men. To have a better idea what, if any, gender differences there are, mixed samples would be better. Though with in-depth qualitative research, sample sizes can be quite small, so questionnaires might be required to look for signals that are sufficiently strong.

And probably one would need to use other variables such as sexual orientation to get any stronger signals.

Sarah94 likes this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That seems imperative if any gender differences in response are claimed. I would go further and make the questions gender neutral, and the people analysing the responses blinded to the race, gender, class and sexual orientation of the respondents.

5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So it is a bad thing promoting the hegemony of masculinity. This is in direct opposition to the encouragement to get children exercising! Maybe it is just because it is fun! Or maybe women are actually dominant and/or wiser and send the men out early on cold, damp Sunday mornings to take the kids to football!

It is all so much rubbish.

6. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Real men don't visualise masculinity and identity threat.

If that doesn't make things "kick-off" nothing will.

Invisible Woman and ScottTriGuy like this.