1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

“I Need to Start Listening to What my Body Is Telling Me.”: Does Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy Help People with CFS?-Bridie O'Dowd July 2020

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seems like a contradiction

Dolphin, Hutan, Atle and 16 others like this.
  3. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can imagine being on this course and being told to listen to my body. That would have been helpful when I was less severe and struggling to be normal and look after my kids. It would have been good to be given permission to tell my mother I could not help her in the garden because I had to avoid "boom or burst"

Good to be told I did not have to be perfectionist (mother again!) and acceptance of my illness as making things difficult rather than everyone feeling like me and managing fine.

I would have avoided the psychologisation of my disease and just took the good things out especially in the days before I understood the controversy as I doubt they make it explicit to patients and I am slow to see beyond the surface because of brain fog.

I also sympathise with the participants that felt free to talk about their problems and not feel bad. I like going to my local MS therapy centre because everyone is disabled and you can say things that you can't say to the able bodied as you just want to talk not shock people or get sympathy.

Yet you could get all this good stuff out of it while their theories are completely wrong as they do not understand what is happening and make no effort, everything is just a confirmation, no thought goes into it.

shak8, Snowdrop, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mindfulness course available at Bristol CFS/ME clinic
    https://www.nbt.nhs.uk/our-services...onic-fatigue-syndromeme-service/mindfulness-3

Copied to this thread: North Bristol NHS Trust: ME/CFS clinic

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2020
    Esther12 and Invisible Woman like this.
  5. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Spot on. I used to go away with groups of ME patients and it was so freeing to be able to spend time with other people who didn't turn a hair when you fell over, walked into walls, suddenly had to lie down on the floor or your brain seized. Other people who were struggling in exactly the same way & you could laugh about the state of you together. It was quite liberating.

6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Trish, Peter Trewhitt and Hutan like this.