1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

‘Reimagining a self’: an evocative autoethnography of living alongside Myalgic Encephalomyelitis(ME), 2020, Farrell Delaney

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Dolphin, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

‘Reimagining a self’: an evocative autoethnography of living alongside Myalgic Encephalomyelitis(ME)
    Orlagh Farrell Delaney RGN, MA

A thesis submitted to Maynooth University in fulfilment of the requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in the Faculty of Social Sciences Department of Applied Social Studies

http://mural.maynoothuniversity.ie/..._Delaney_PhD_FINAL_submission_APRIL_2020_.pdf

ABSTRACT

This doctoral thesis research aims to explore and explain the day to day realities of living long term with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME). ME is an acquired complex disorder characterised by a variety of symptoms affecting multiple systems of the body. Marked fatigue and weakness, sickness, cognitive dysfunction and symptom flare-up can follow any physical or cognitive exertion. ME is a chronic and disabling disorder and severe or moderately severe cases can leave patients bed or house bound. It is estimated that there are 12,000 people with ME in Ireland and an estimated 17 to 24 million sufferers worldwide. Despite this there is a dearth of research on the experience of living with ME.

I have lived with moderately severe ME for the last 16 years. Utilising autoethnography as a methodology and drawing on multidisciplinary social science theory, I aim to tell the story of my own lived experiences of the illness, and how I sought to reimagine a ‘self’ or a life living alongside the illness, that could still be considered a good life. Autoethnography is an autobiographical genre of writing and research, that displays multiple layers of consciousness connecting the personal to the cultural. Autoethnography uses the researcher’s experience as primary data and in this thesis I utilise field notes kept over the years, journal entries, photography and my own poetry.

The data is presented as a series of four narratives. These narratives are then analysed using three interrelated conceptual and theoretical frameworks. The first is an original conceptual framework, ‘The Struggle Cycle’, designed for this study. It draws on and integrates two others: Witkin’s (2014) Four Conditions Facilitative of Transformative Change, and the Buddhist philosophy of the Four Noble Truths. Too often people with illness are the passive subjects of investigation by researchers who do not have experience of illness. An autoethnographic approach helps to redress this imbalance and generate unique insights.

I intend that my study will help those who live with ME to reflect on and understand their own experiences, and will help to inform medical professional and other support services dealing with ME, as well as the general public and those who share their lives with people affected with ME, who can often struggle to understand. The insights generated could also apply to many other chronic illnesses. ii A

Hutan, Mariaba, Wonko and 11 others like this.
  2. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Looks interesting. Not sure I've got the energy to read it all but I like the sound of it. Will bookmark it.

Ash, Louie41, DokaGirl and 3 others like this.
  3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for posting.

Unfortunate that it's soo long, won't be able to read it I'm afraid.

Ash, Louie41, DokaGirl and 3 others like this.
  4. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It looks interesting, being based around the documentation of one person’s ME experience, but I don’t have the cognitive energy to read it.

From page 3
    Chapter 2 briefly looks at the history, definitions and severity levels, , prevalence. The author makes a distinction between ME and CFS, and also looks at the psychiatric psychogenic view. Also recent research, and the physiological view of possible causes, and hypothetical theories, and management. Also the contentious nature of the illness and the consequences of all this on pwME.

And that’s as far as I will look.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    Ash, Louie41, Dolphin and 1 other person like this.
  5. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Too much for me to read in one go, but I did jump forward to the Conclusion, which is more of a summary:

Hutan, Joh, Ash and 4 others like this.
  6. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect that most people with moderate ME would struggle to read that, let alone research or write it.

Chezboo, Louie41 and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think that depends on the individual's particular symptom mix. I can see someone with severe brain fog would struggle, but I can imagine someone with moderate ME managing to do it little bits at a time spread over several years. We'll done to the author for the achievement.

A PhD is expected to take at least 3 years for someone healthy working full time on it, and to be built on a foundation of already studying the subject area at undergrad level.

Hutan, Mariaba, Wonko and 5 others like this.
  8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Well done to the author. I get that it is an academic piece and the language is pitched at their academic tutors for the purpose of getting a PhD this isn’t a criticism of the individual but my reaction is always why can’t these groups use straightforward language.

Wonko, Louie41, Joan Crawford and 3 others like this.
  9. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for sharing this, looking forward to reading it :nerd:

10. hibiscuswahine

hibiscuswahine Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for sharing, very evocative. Quite dense reading as expected for a dissertation but like the underpinnings, will take some time to read and digest. Don’t often find things that reflect my journey and life philosophy.

Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.