1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why it’s so hard for doctors to understand your pain

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Indigophoton, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An interesting short article mostly about the influence of genetics on pain.
    https://theconversation.com/why-its-so-hard-for-doctors-to-understand-your-pain-93526

2. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

the article talks about institutional medical bias ,then shows the authors bias about the reasons some people become addicted to pain killers to put it simply many painful conditions are chronic and thus will lead to long term use of painkillers. I personally think the word painkiller should be taken out of the language and replaced with pain modulator. my life experience tells me a lot of medicines just don't kill or even greatly alleviate pain.

3. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

that is paternalistic medicine for you . I wonder just how long medical professionals have had this dysfunctional mistrust in patients after all the overwhelming majority of us would rather not see a doctor unless its absolutely necessary . unless some of them are just mirroring their own mistrust belief in human nature.

5. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For at least 2000 years. The effect is hugely more pronounced if the patient is female. If they (doctors) can get away with implying the patient is stupid, immoral, lazy, attention-seeking, lying, and mentally ill then they will do so.