1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is Simon Wessely?

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Nov 13, 2017.

1. James

James Established Member (Voting Rights)

No mention of The Legend of Camelford in this puff piece

2. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Heaven forbid interruption of his career when he’s shat on our lives. Then he rewrites his gulf war story. Do any ME groups have connections with GWS groups because it still seems an unrecognized area in UK and I can’t imagine former soldiers being thrilled with insinuations of group think anxiety needing CBT like us (what I’ve heard as wesselys contribution, happy to be corrected) ? Giving them a pension doesnt equal having your illness researched and treatment found and back to fit life.
    Never miss a chance to smear us and paint yourself as a hero simon. Just a little bit of light exercise and back to work.

Should we offer him a chance of debate with those he doesn’t agree with now -him versus Ron Davis, him versus David Tuller or a ticket to an Iime conference where he can present on why ME is a grey area of medicine best tackled with rehabilitation.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    Inara, Joh, DokaGirl and 15 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

How dare he go on slandering us and spouting lies about recovery rates and successful treatment. How dare he.

Inara, Joh, DokaGirl and 22 others like this.
  4. Philipp

Philipp Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I guess I'll do our standard writeup this time!

On the part relevant to us:

The way this is worded it seems as if he was indeed studying ME, which is also called CFS, and his research found that a third of those patients with make a full recovery riding the cbtgettrain.

This confuses me because every time this is brought up with his group they seem to claim they were never ever studying ME, but CFS as defined by whatever they please on any given day, while 'recovery' can mean anything you want the word to mean from 'deteriorated a lot' to 'had a mild statistically insignificant fluctuation in symptoms'. But 'full recovery' when studying 'ME' is a weird claim because the evidence, as far as I can see, does indeed speak for itself. So he is either lying, misrepresented by the interviewer or referring to unpublished research he has lying around in his office somewhere which would be a bit unethical I'd think.

Given that this recovery claim is to the best of our knowledge a complete fabrication and somewhat central to his entire career - how high quality can his reports to advise the government on any issues really be?

On the point that needs to be hammered home with everyone outside our own bubble:
    The way the whole interview is set up is interesting in the same way those things usually are. Be it Esther with her daddy issues, Trudie with her horrible heckling incidents that she claimed were extremely threatening (or am I misremembering this part? It is hard to keep up with what their weird version of reality is at any given point in time), Simon with his Holocaust thingy here or all the death threats that they made out of newspapers themselves to paint a picture of what a death threat might have looked like, it is always the same technique where they try to make themselves come across as pitiable victims.
    This is a move that is used by psychopaths all over the world because they at some point in they lives must have noticed it makes people easier to manipulate. It is pretty devious because it is not necessarily completely disingenous - e.g. if Esther really had a weird relationship with her father (or whatever it was she was claiming exactly) it would really suck for her.
    But that does not mean that researching sick kids standing on a bit of paper shouting STOP at it and finding that it does, in fact, not do anything and then going on to report it as the next big treatment almost ready to roll out is not malpractice.

Woolie, Inara, Joh and 17 others like this.
  5. large donner

large donner Guest

At first I thought this was an article in the national newspaper the Daily Star, but it appears to a local paper be the Sheffield Star.

Funny that, just last week the Times of London does an article on how the Lancet should review the flawed PACE trial and the best access the SMC get for their usual unscientific PR nonsense is to the Sheffield Star.

Oh how times have changed.

Amw66, Inara, Joh and 16 others like this.
  6. James

James Established Member (Voting Rights)

hinterland, Lisa108, Woolie and 11 others like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I doubt it has any connection with the latest PACE publicity. It's more likely to be related to his role writing mental health policy for the government. And just a bit of self publicity for Simon in the local paper of the area her grew up in. The ME part of the story is just part of his self-mythologising about what a brave and wonderful man he is for helping lots of people to recover from ME against so much (alleged) hostility.

Woolie, ladycatlover, Hutan and 12 others like this.
  8. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But ME is being swallowed up into MUS and will be part of the mental health agenda- again! So the picture is being reinforced in mainstream...

Woolie, ladycatlover, James and 7 others like this.
  9. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ain’t that the truth! Very good at making stuff up. Not so good at scientific rigour.

So difficult to talk about that any time he is interviewed you can pretty much guarantee that he will talk about it.

Please do not misunderstand what he is saying here. He is definitely not suggesting that he didn’t enjoying working in ME/CFS research because people with ME are so horrible. Definitely, definitely not.

How satisfying it must be for a scientist to discover precisely nothing about the subject they are researching. It’s a wonder he didn’t receive a Nobel prize for discovering what GWI isn’t. I’m sure all the GWI veterans think he’s wonderful.

No surprise to learn that Sir Simon used to mock certain groups of patients, but it is surprising to hear him admit it. I do not believe that all doctors used to talk about their patients in the way that Simon Wessely spoke about people with ME. However, his confession would appear to add weight to allegations that have been made about his conduct when giving talks about ME to medical professionals.

Despite admitting to feeling ashamed, it is notable that he does not apologise. Because, of course, everyone else was doing it, which makes it perfectly OK, doesn’t it?

10. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seriously? Are they having a laugh? FFS!

Woolie, Joh, JamBob and 14 others like this.
  11. Cinders66

That’s probably why he did psychiatry. Did you see this bit

Psychiatry attracts 'a certain type', he says. "They tend to be a bit older - I always tell people psychiatry is medicine for grown-ups. I did the running around, 'Quick nurse, give me the needle', and all that stuff, up in Newcastle. It was interesting, but I didn't want to spend my life doing that."

Read more at: https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/heal...hood-and-life-as-a-top-psychiatrist-1-9331473
    He always manages to put his colleagues down, that’s why I think he has an ego problem

12. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

He made the same claim nearly a decade back in a puff piece on him in New Scientist.

It was disgraceful fraud then, and is even more so now post-PACE.

:grumpy:

Attached Files:

13. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

well he did get a knighthood for his 'services to military healthcare and to psychological medicine', and will probably be made a peer for his current 'services to mental health'.

laughed at this......

"to give someone "the needle", insulting and teasing someone which results in the person becoming irate and/or defensive, thus the person would have "the needle""

Michael Sharpe springs to mind more though...with Wessely it seems it's more like water off a ducks back:emoji_duck:

Lisa108, Woolie, ladycatlover and 5 others like this.
  14. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wessely is smart enough to know that CBT/GET don't work. He is using patients to advance his career and does not care about the consequences that disseminating false claims about recovery and improvement has. It is callous and selfish.

16. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In this profile from the Times Wessely put on his website you also have the same myth:

"He discovered that by combining cognitive behavioural therapy and light exercise a third of patients make a full recovery."

https://web.archive.org/web/2018090...-professor-simon-wessely-times-6-august-2011/

Strange how journalists profiling Wessely keep promoting this falsehood. Where do they get this misleading claim from?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    Joh, It's M.E. Linda, Woolie and 12 others like this.
  17. Cinders66

That’s a third of ambulant patients who’d consent to a Kings referreal? I assume he never ventured out if the clinic. And the rest is explained by Oxford criteria I guess.
    He simply doesn’t seem to care about the rest, including the third they can’t do much for.

18. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there data to support even that? I've no idea where the claim comes from. Seems to have been pretty thoroughly debunked by data from the PACE trial though: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/21641846.2017.1259724?journalCode=rftg20

19. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He probably wrote it in his bio and they regurgitate it.

Lisa108, ladycatlover, Wonko and 6 others like this.
  20. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Also a useful quote for showing that he claims credit for it all.

Woolie, ladycatlover, Hutan and 12 others like this.