1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is Simon Wessely?

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Nov 13, 2017.

1. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So when was that? Do we interpret the numbers behind him as 2018? He could have tweeted it then.

Hutan, lunarainbows and MEMarge like this.
  2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ariel, Michelle, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  3. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So he’s rolling out something from 2018...presumably he predicted the new president? Probably a waxwork or photoshopped? either that or they used neurolinguistic programming on JB when he lost his way to the toilet and ushered him into a side room with a conveniently placed pull up. Pull-ups can be carried under the arm so are quite portable.

MEMarge likes this.
  4. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nothing to worry about, just a photo opportunity when Joe Biden visited a mental health event in London.

The ‘if not now, when’ comment is ‘if I don’t post this pic of me with the then future POTUS, right after he’s been inaugurated, when will there be a better opportunity to express my smugness?’

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When all is said and done, there won't be much left of Wessely's careers, awards and all.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...-caused-depleted-uranium-munitions-study.html

This lack of understanding, brought to you in part by Wessely "most satisfying and enjoyable part of this career. Well, at least he had good fun ruining these people's lives. He was even safer over there, safe from us, the dangerous militants who struggle to walk a room's length.

It doesn't look as if there are any intentions of fixing this error, however:

Helene, MeSci, tmrw and 15 others like this.
  6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow, that's brazen!

Joan Crawford, tmrw, Michelle and 7 others like this.
  7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Art of Spin.

8. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I work at a junior level in policy (unrelated to health) and it's a bit like brain storming --- creative ideas i.e. for responses. I'd hazard a guess that the (healthy) person who wrote this was just churning out some fancy words --- the reality is a matter for others, who are unwell, to live with/deal with.

9. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A bit like Margaret Thatcher responding (as best I can recall) to the death of some political adversary whom she had detested for many year: "I cannot express how very sad I am to hear of ...". The Art of Ambiguity and the Art of Spin are very closely related I think.

10. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Only just seen this thread, and the original article is no longer available – oh, God, I'd no idea he was a Sheffielder.

I'm so sorry, we're not all like that! :laugh:

And actually, Sheffield psychiatry isn't all like that, either. The four to whom I was referred in the 1970s still rank as some of the best and most helpful doctors I've ever seen...

11. Imse

Imse Established Member

When I was a girl, my father learned my a wise word; It is hard to be humble when you're perfect.

And it is. The way to perfection and greatness is to be humble. You have to get down on your knees to learn how to stand. Simon Wessley are 64 years old and have not learned this yet, all he has to show to is what HE has done and what HE thinks, nothing about the people he is supposed to help. He started in the wrong end and are now much farther from the goal than when he started, poor man.

Fizzlou, rainy, MEMarge and 12 others like this.
  12. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

cfsandmore, Helene and MEMarge like this.
  13. Helene

Helene Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge likes this.
  14. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think this thread may have been combined with another so you're now talking about a different article from the one in the first post? Some of my bookmarks for it are now for disappeared pages.

Anyway, the Sheffield Star article seems to be back on line: https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/star...d-childhood-anda-life-top-psychiatrist-433341

Sly Saint, Robert 1973 and MEMarge like this.
  15. Forestvon

Forestvon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved from the Psychologising Long Covid thread

Just for info, Simon Wessely is on BBC Desert Island discs this week tomorrow 11 am, repeated Fri at 9 I think unless time different for Good Friday. Don't know if can bear to listen but wd love to know what he says -sounds like part of concerted BPS campaign.

NB UK clocks go forward an hour tonight.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2021
    rainy, Tia, Alis and 4 others like this.
  16. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Established Member (Voting Rights)

From wikipedia:

>Each week a guest, called a "castaway" during the programme, is asked to choose eight recordings (usually, but not always, music), a book and a luxury item that they would take if they were to be cast away on a desert island whilst discussing their lives and the reasons for their choices.

Yeah, I don't know. It sounds like a fairly innocuous programme at first glance.
    Establishing a parasocial relationship with his listeners, to prime them for buying into his bullshit at a later date, would be the proper Macchiavellian thing to do, but it does seem like a bit of a stretch. Not interested in finding out that much about him, but fingers crossed that he won't prove me wrong!

Michelle and Invisible Woman like this.
  17. Forestvon

Forestvon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They are usually asked about life history, history of their career, key moments in between choosing discs, and why they chose it.

18. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Yeah - a chance to talk about yourself to the R4 audience - how eminence flattering

Woolie, Ariel, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  19. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

Simon Wessely on Desert Island Discs on 28th March 2021 - mentions CFS

BBC Radio 4 - Desert Island Discs, Professor Sir Simon Wessely, psychiatrist

Professor Sir Simon Wessely, psychiatrist

Desert Island Discs

Professor Sir Simon Wessely is the first ever psychiatrist to be awarded a Regius professorship – an honour bestowed by the Queen. He is professor of psychological medicine at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience at King’s College London, and is also a consultant psychiatrist at King’s College Hospital and the Maudsley Hospital.

Born in Sheffield to a father who had come to Britain on the Kindertransport, he started his research career working on unexplained symptoms and syndromes, leading progressive and sometimes controversial work on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Disagreement about whether the condition is physical or psychological continues to this day and although Simon’s studies helped develop a treatment programme, there is still no cure.

Later he switched his attention to the military, exploring Gulf War Syndrome, PTSD, the risk and benefit of military service, social and psychological outcomes for ex-service personnel and historic aspects of war and psychiatry. In 1996 he established the Gulf War Illness Research Unit which subsequently became the King’s Centre for Military Health Research.

He completed a term as president of the Royal Society of Medicine – the first psychiatrist to occupy the post - and in 2017 he led an independent review of the Mental Health Act.

Presenter Lauren Laverne

Producer Paula McGinley

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2021
    rainy, Woolie, DokaGirl and 3 others like this.
  20. Shinygleamy

Shinygleamy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Going to be missing that shitting one. Hearing his voice make me nauseous.

MEMarge, Kirsten, ukxmrv and 5 others like this.