1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

When Will I Get past This Exhaustion? Predictors of Improved Fatigue in the First Year of RA - 2019 ACR/ARP

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://acrabstracts.org/abstract/w...-of-improved-fatigue-in-the-first-year-of-ra/

MEMarge, Starlight, DokaGirl and 3 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I haven't read the paper, just the abstract. It's not too bad, it does find the link between fatigue and illness severity and recommend early treatment of the underlying illness (with MTX) as a response, along with 'optimising weight, sleep and mood'. And I guess a holistic approach is fine.

It would just be nice to see the explicit understanding that all of the characteristics they found to be associated with fatigue can be downstream effects of illness severity
    • obesity - because movement is decreased, comfort eating because more time is spent sitting being bored and in pain
    • poor sleep - due to pain, and also because it's harder to get healthily tired from physical activity
    • depression/mood/major stressors - due to not being able to do what you did before, financial and social issues arising from not being able to do what you did before and also being grumpy due to pain
    And therefore, attempts to eliminate fatigue, obesity, poor sleep and depression without treating the underlying illness and pain may be rather futile and waste resources.