1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

What symptoms of ME that you personally experience is (a) not shown on your medical file and/or (b) not in the ME literature.

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by Andy, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

May not be connected, but there is a condition called chromhidrosis in which sweat takes on different colors (including blue). The condition is considered benign, but it can obviously be a source of concern to the patient.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/chromhidrosis

Invisible Woman, Andy, rainy and 4 others like this.
  2. rainy

rainy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Samuel I thought this thread was very interesting, because ME patients often have many symptoms that doctors and researchers are not interested in, and therefore might not get recorded anywhere. If it weren’t for patient forums like this, I wouldn’t know that many other patients also get a hoarse voice when they’ve done too much, for example.

For me what makes a possible symptom of my ME is whatever symptoms that occured in my life after I got ill with this thing that the doctores labeled ME, which they havent been able to find another cause for.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  3. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I haven't yet read this thread, but am looking forward to.

I've been pondering about something mentioned by a Long Covid patient in the recent Yahoo!life article A COVID-19 long-hauler details his year of 'hell'. He wrote he's "often hit with a sense of jamais vu, the big sister of deja vu. I forget friend's names and often repeat the same story in a conversation".

I've never heard of jamais vu before, but Wikipedia tells me it means "never seen" and its description sounds like a very familiar feeling:
    This is similar to a sensation I often have, and which I've placed in the big bag of "brain fog". It makes it difficult to write things as I often need to google words and names I'm actually very familiar with, in order to double check that they really are correct. It can also happen in conversations, but it's easier to hide then.

If my sensation fits with what is jamais vu, then it's nice to at least have a name for it.
    Does it ring a bell for some of you as well?

4. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is fascinating, isn't it?

One of the problems with cognitive problems like this is that they happen when we aren't in the best position to observe them. So it's very hard to describe or recall what's happened.

In the early years I had doctors and people who were genuinely trying to help jump in to describe it for me, unintentionally getting it wrong.

I knew "brain fog" or "problems with memory & concentration" weren't even coming close to describing what was happening . Especially when those descriptions were being put down to either simple fatigue or low mood.

It's like we each have a small piece of a very large picture puzzle being able to discuss it reminds me of symptoms I forget until they happen again or can't describe.