1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

What author Merve Emre uncovered about the origins of the Myers-Briggs personality test

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by DokaGirl, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm an 'Advocate' too and I have been every time I take one of these tests. The odd thing is that they're supposed to be rare, but there's 2 other Advocates just in this thread. I also know other Advocates. Not so special now am I.

I think the thing this questionnaire gets right is my introvert nature, which isn't difficult because I told them. The rest isn't so cut and dried. Kind of fun though, but scandalous to use this in recruitment etc.

Indigophoton, Hutan, Mij and 8 others like this.
  2. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Go straight to the top of the class!

I'm rare too! Anyone here not rare? If Architects and Advocates are rare, there must be type which gets told "You are as common as muck". Anyone found it yet? Come on, who are you?

3. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So, so, so, so rare. And special.

“Commander: Only 3% of the world’s population share this personality type”

4. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So if we're all rare who are the poor sods who are common?

5. Philipp

Philipp Senior Member (Voting Rights)

HoldMyBeer...

Edit: Nope, I am apparently amongst the rarest with 2.5% for Protagonist.

Commoner would be:

• ISFJ - Defender Personality (13.8%)

• ESFJ - Consul Personality (12.3%)

• ISTJ - Logistician personality (11.6%).

Anyone lame here? Anybody?

6. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah, that increases credibility immensely...but if you add up many "rares" you can end up with 100%. :couchpotato

I have now read the descriptive text... lo! there is my so desired horoscope! it's fun :)

7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Who writes this crap. It does read so much like astrology or romantic fiction. Not that I read either of those of course...

8. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

…..all just another marketing opportunity.....which is fine, so long as its categorised as, and known to be, merely light entertainment.

9. TiredSam

Indigophoton, Inara, oldtimer and 6 others like this.
  10. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh b*gger! I deviously thought I'd let you lot do all the hard work and see what you found. Now, I want to do the test!

Not so amusingly, I spent 4 hours doing psychometric testing as part of a job application ( in addition to two interviews and giving a presentation). I loved my job, but thought if I'm gonna have kids I might need to rethink and go for something with more predictable hours, less hassle......

The result was: they didn't want to give me the job I applied for. They wanted me to come and do my old job for them.

Sigh.

11. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Apparently, I am Commander?

See does this mean:
    1. You usually find it difficult to relax when talking in front of a largish group of people?

or

2. You usually find it difficult to relax when talking in front of most people? But you might talking to one or two.

and if 1. Is it a bad thing to be a bit stressed before going and doing a presentation before a large group? I find I used to perform better when under a certain amount of pressure.

See. Questionnaires - do they ever ask what you think they're asking and are the responses ever interpreted in the way you meant them?

12. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Did anyone else get Boring twat? It didn’t give me a stat on how common it was just said very common....SO NOT FAIR ! :(:(:(

13. Philipp

Philipp Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am a bit disappointed you didn't get 'adorable sloth'.

For the time being I will reserve judgement. If Joh is correctly identified as inActivist the test is good enough for me.

14. TiredSam

No.

So that makes you quite special really.

15. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That doesn’t sound very commanding. I’m disappointed. It was all so well thought through otherwise.

:cautious:

16. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Some years ago I did a Myers Briggs test and was satisfied with a label that suggested I was wise, introverted and special (a rare Advocate no less).

Now it seems I am extroverted, common and a party-loving cheerleader (Consul). :confused: (This despite the fact that my social contact is now mostly limited to a quick chat with the checkout operator at the supermarket and I hardly ever put on a short skirt and dance around with pompoms.)

17. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just did the test for real

“People with the Architect personality type are imaginative yet decisive, ambitious yet private, amazingly curious, but they do not squander their energy.”

Well the squandering energy thing is a given ....perhaps this may have affected the results? ....I also seem more introverted than when I took the test last time before I got ill...wow..so insightful

There wasn’t a question about avoiding standing for too long ...perhaps that would also demonstrate introverted behaviour too ?

I’ve taken the belbin one for a hideous work team day thing in the distant past ...that said at the time that I should be an inventor (plant/completer finisher) ....wow since that was kind of my job at the time I didn’t really think this was particularly useful. And the sales people all came out as arrogant self centred pricks that got on everyone’s nerves...hmmm

It’s all a load of confidence trick nonsense ...just be yourself and screw what people think.

I would like to see that Pom Pom routine though @Hutan. ...just be careful not to strain yer muggert with the high kicks though

18. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I did it and failed to keep a copy all I remember is I’m an Adventurer apparently ( I think they’ve jazzed up the types somewhat since I did this at work 20 years ago because I don’t remember anything as exciting sounding as that. I’ve got I and F in there can’t remember the other two I’ve always been an introverted thinker it has that right the others more variable depending on the sort of work roles/behaviours at the time I think I was probably F as well before. I looked at what adventurers were like and it sort of described me but adventurer seems far fetched as a title.

19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Ha, I beat all of you common as muck rare types, as I am a rare common type! ;)

It's amazing that it can tell me what I am after I just told it what I'm like - we truly live in wondrous times!! ;)

20. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...o-they-really-tell-you?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

https://news.northwestern.edu/stori...erage-reserved-self-centered-or-a-role-model/