1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Weighted blankets

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by Sarah94, Jul 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Two threads on this topic have been merged. The thread title has been changed to cover both threads.

Sigh.

I rely quite a lot on the weight of my duvet to make me sleepy, so when it's too hot for my usual duvet, I'm rather at a loss for getting to sleep.

Last summer, I was able to sleep under a stack of 3 sheets, which kept me cool enough at the same time as adding enough weight to sleep. But this summer it doesn't feel like enough weight, maybe because I'm more easily overstimulated these days than I was last summer.

I've been looking at "cool" weighted blankets online, but unfortunately most ones that I could find would be too heavy for me to cope with - I'm severe and wouldn't be able to lift the weighted blanket onto the bed. The only ones that seemed an okay weight weren't "cool" ones and people in the reviews had said they were pretty warm. Which is obviously not what I want.

Argh.

Any other ideas for how to give me some more weight on top of me without making me too hot???

This is a request for practical advice, not medical advice, so I figure it's allowed?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2020
    Simbindi, Skycloud, Squeezy and 4 others like this.
  2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Knitted cotton blanket, some are patterned so will have weight while still having lighter areas ( maybe not so warm?)

Skycloud, Squeezy, Mij and 2 others like this.
  3. Unable

Unable Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If weight was added to the edges of the sheets you use, would that help the sheets feel heavier?

Maybe someone could roll up some material to form a sort of sausage, that could be tacked into the inside of a duvet cover, around the edges? Would that give enough weight sensation, without added warmth over your body?

Alternatively, a damp towel would have a cooling effect, and also offer some weight. Perhaps one of those microfibre ones from Decathlon, which are thin. You could have one damped down and placed inside your duvet cover maybe? (Without the duvet itself obviously.)

wingate, Skycloud, Squeezy and 3 others like this.
  4. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Though they are quite expensive, there are water-cooled/heated mattress pads. One I've seen is called the "Chilipad." An external unit heats/cools water that runs through tubing contained in a fabric "pad."

I'm pretty sure you lie on top of the pad rather than under it, but it might make the bed cool enough to use the duvet.

Trish likes this.
  5. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Sarah94 I have this issue too, just wait until you hit menopause :rolleyes: I have several different types of cotton, cotton blend blankets, silk duvet and find them all too hot. Kick it off and pull them back on again when I get cold chills after a major hot flash, it's sooo exhausting.

6. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've got a pure cotton Jacquard weave matelasse bedspread which is now too heavy for me (I now feel a lot of pain with heavy bed linen) which I used for hot weather previously.

Now I am sleeping with a silk bedspread instead as lighter and I can cope with the pain of it better. No sheets but the bedspread fits in the washing machine and washes well on a gentle cycle.

The type of Jacquard weave means it is heavier than other cotton bedspreads and is a combination of heavy and floating if that makes sense.

It was from this store but I can't see it now. Going to be something like this maybe?

https://www.cologneandcotton.com/valencia-cotton-quilts-and-cushions

https://www.cologneandcotton.com/jacquard-jardin-beadspreads

or even this?

https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-partners-eynsford-bedspread-ecru/p3435117

or

https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-partners-may-jacquard-bedspread/p3435114

Had my eye on this silk one from John Lewis and ordered online when other colours were available on sale but when it arrived it was far too heavy

https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewi...vgLud17tSexQD_pucNBoCmS8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

These knit bedspreads can be heavy but breath at the same time

https://www.johnlewis.com/croft-collection-cotton-chain-knit-throw-natural/p3035630

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Skycloud, Sarah94 and Trish like this.
  7. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Would it be possible to put the sheets you need into a sealed plastic bag then put them in the fridge or freezer for a couple of hours. Then you or your carer can put them on the bed for you. I've never done this myself, but it was just an idea.

Squeezy likes this.
  8. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks. How heavy is the Jacquard? And how heavy is the John Lewis silk one? And how warm is the John Lewis silk one? For reference, my preferred weight is that of a 9 tog duvet.

9. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can totally relate. I used to sleep with a duvet, a comforter, and several blankets piled on top of me. Now even a thin blanket makes me too hot. I seem to have permanent heat intolerance. I sleep so much deeper when I have the weight on top of me. These days I wake up a lot during the night. My mom also has the same issue.

Skycloud, Mij, Wonko and 1 other person like this.
  10. Mij

I need the weight too, last night was ridiculous, I was up all night rearranging the blankets/sheets and turning the fan on and off! No damp blankets for me as someone suggested, it's 89% humidity here with the heat. Ugghhh.

11. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Going to bed at 5-6am (when the temperature and humidity have dropped as low as they are going to get), spending an hour getting to sleep, and then getting up at 8am seems to work for me.

I feel like *$%^ but then I feel like that anyway.

I've had this problem for many years, at certain times, made worse by the fact that I seem to need two different temperatures, and the temperature suitable for falling asleep is too cold for me to stay asleep at.

I did think I had it beaten, but it seems not.

The solution is simple.

I take drugs.

Not all, or most of the time, obviously, or I wouldn't be on here all hours of the night.

But it's the only thing that works for me these days.

(Caution - the above was written by someone who gets only around 1-2 hours sleep a lot of nights, rarely more than 4. It should therefore be taken with a salt mine handy)

Amw66, TigerLilea, Annamaria and 3 others like this.
  12. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps there is a seamstress in your family to try a few options, someone who wouldn’t mind changes to suit your needs especially when it comes to the weight issue?

13. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry I sent the JL silk one back without actually weighing it. I don't remember what a 9 tog duvet feels like in weight now sorry to do a mental comparison. The Jaquard one was certainly heavier than my 4.5 tog current duvet but I can't guess how much more.

If I find my Jacqard one I'll certainly weigh it and let you know. Maybe if you contact the shop(s) direct and ask them for the weight of the items they might have the information?

Sarah94 and Wonko like this.
  14. Mij

@Sarah94 do they have Coolmax Weighted Blankets in the UK? I found this one on amazon. Interesting, I might consider buying myself one. There is a video that explains its function.

Sarah94 likes this.
  15. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They are expensive. I don't have $275.00 to spend on something that 'might' work.

Sarah94 and Mij like this.
  16. Mij

Here's another one that's less expensive. Interesting, I have not tried bamboo viscose fabric with glass beads
    • GREAT FOR HOT, PERSPIRING SLEEPERS - The breathable SMART Fabric and Moisture Wicking Management for year round comfort enabling hot sleepers to stay drier and cooler, cool sleepers to stay cozy. Cold to the touch bamboo fabric and glass beads features high specific heat capacity which will keep you cool through the night like you’re at a 5 STAR HOTEL. With the deep touch and cooling feel of bamboo weighted blanket, you will fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer

Sarah94 likes this.
  17. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Bamboo is good for moisture control. My daughter's s memory foam neck pillow has a bamboo casing which seems to help.

Wool is also great at " wicking". But perhaps given weight issues, better for winter.

18. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you're relying on the proprioceptor effect that helps overstimulation in autistic people, the weight only needs to be on major joints such as the hips or shoulders. I'm autistic and sometimes need weight to switch off my brain, but I have a heavy sandbag that I pull over my hips (I'm not severely ill, so I can just about manage this). It cost nothing to make and works beautifully.

Obviously, different people need different strategies, but it's worth trying to work out whether only having the weight on major joints will work for you. If it works, you could fashion something that you can manage to get into place, and that doesn't make you overheat because it's not covering your whole body.

Squeezy, Simbindi, TigerLilea and 2 others like this.
  19. feeb

feeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I also can't sleep without something covering me, so I put a filled hot water bottle in the fridge during the day, and put it under my feet at night. It lets me cool down while still keeping a sheet on.

Sticking it in the freezer might last longer!

mango, Kitty and TigerLilea like this.
  20. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

On the same lines I use physio hot/cold gel packs which I keep in the freezer in the summer. On warm nights I wrap one or more up in scarves and place in strategic locations like the back of my neck/against torso to help keep my temperature down. I find this together with a fan is pretty effective. You can get different size packs these would definitely provide some weight although obviously localised.

Squeezy, mango, Kitty and 2 others like this.