1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Web article. Stem cell research solves baldness

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by NelliePledge, Mar 19, 2018.

1. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Respectfully, maybe have a chat with Bill Gates about how our culture prioritizes baldness?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...more-about-baldness-than-malaria-8536988.html

Clinical Trials (recruiting/enrolling/active) approximately 3 times more active number of trials for “hair loss” vs “CFS”

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (19 Studies)
    24FE870E-BD2B-4FB0-A971-0AC6A25F8ED4.jpeg

Hair Loss (52 Studies)
    494D3977-B0A7-4AA0-8103-05D6D4C3476B.jpeg

Are you saying that hair loss should be 3 times the priority as compared to ME/CFS?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  2. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Bald is Beautiful!!

C70B7AB0-E97A-4F6F-82FF-64CDEBD2A01A.jpeg
    5C6EC6BF-5D15-4DCF-9076-6DEB3B8518E9.jpeg

Bald is Sexy!!

383B4E1D-FA44-4C2F-9455-EF1958E055D8.jpeg

3. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ok, I'll bow out of this discussion, because it is too personal for me. I can't force anyone to have empathy about the subject.

Telling people with hairloss that their problems can be solved by saying bald is beautiful is not going to bring my childhood friend back to life. The cancer didn't kill her, the bullying did.

If you see Bill Gates tell him to listen to African workers and to stop the paramilitary death squads killing union members please. I see his 'philanthropy' scam is successful PR.

4. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Still about hair loss but not related to stem cell research:
    From the 1990s I had frequent episodes of chronic telogen effluvium. (It is diffuse hair loss lasting around six months, apparently in response to physical or psychological stress. Usually the hair grows back but not always to the previous amount.) It could easily be confused with female age-related hair loss. I found that it is a condition that isn't very well known.

It wasn't until about eight years ago that the reason revealed itself. During the 90s my iron store levels were marginally on the low side and I would take a supplement until they got back to a mid-range level, then stop. Luckily my GP was very co-operative about my frequent test requests. I began to realise that a few months after stopping the supplement the hair loss would start again. I now take iron supplements all the time and have no more abnormal hair loss if I do.

Recently I reduced the dose and my hair eventually started to fall out again. According to my GP, I seem to need a high level as my 'normal'. Luckily I started out with a lot of hair so it is now still of average thickness.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    Alvin and MErmaid like this.
  5. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

I am glad that you and your GP realized that you have your own “normal”. Now I have more faith that there are people whom we are supposed to trust in medicine, that actually understand the basic concepts of health and wellness.

Just curious, do you have a HFE gene mutation?

oldtimer likes this.
  6. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Bullying is awful and horrible!! I am so sorry about your friend.

7. oldtimer

I've never had any genetic testing (apart from taking part in breast cancer genetic data collection) so I don't know what that gene is.

MErmaid likes this.
  8. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Hepcidin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepcidin

oldtimer likes this.
  9. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    MErmaid likes this.
  10. oldtimer

Thanks @MEmaid. That was interesting. I doubt it applies to me because my ferritin levels have never been more than slightly low. Oral supplementation works for me and my C-reactive protein is always absolutely normal.
    "There are many diseases where failure to adequately absorb iron contributes to iron deficiency and iron deficiency anaemia. The treatment will depend on the hepcidin levels that are present, as oral treatment will be unlikely to be effective if hepcidin is blocking enteral absorption, in which cases parenteral iron treatment would be appropriate. Studies have found that measuring hepcidin would be of benefit to establish optimal treatment,[23] although as this is not widely available, C-reactive protein (CRP) is used as a surrogate marker."

MErmaid likes this.