1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Web article. Stem cell research solves baldness

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by NelliePledge, Mar 19, 2018.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

2. adreno

adreno Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Big money in curing baldness...

Invisible Woman, Jan, Awol and 7 others like this.
  3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Absolutely. So many people who had a life changing experience and went on disability because of going bald :unsure:

Invisible Woman, Jan, Marky and 9 others like this.
  4. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ironically, the treatment involves cellular metabolism, pyruvate and the production of more lactate.

Invisible Woman, Jan, Marky and 3 others like this.
  5. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Came here to say this :woot:

Invisible Woman, Jan and Marky like this.
  6. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Yes, I agree about the relationship. Hair loss was the first presign of ME as it first attempted to hijack me. But after 5 years, the once stark bald areas seem to be making a slow and concerted comeback. Only time will tell, and I hope I win! It’s time to throw the ME baby out with the bath water!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Rabbit likes this.
  7. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hair loss CBT/GET:

Write down all your negative thoughts and feelings and fears about your hair loss. Take your time, and think back to the recurring themes you’ve been subconsciously exploring in your mind for the last few days, weeks, or months.

Add fitness and exercise in your daily routine. You could clean the house, mow the lawn, run a marathon, walk around the block, climb a mountain . . .

It's that simple.

8. Alvin

Someone could develop a lightning process treatment with two pieces of paper to jump on, one says don't be like George Costanza and the other say my hair is growing back. Then we do a sham study to prove it works, and charge high prices per course of treatments

9. Seven

Seven Senior Member (Voting Rights)

SO everytime is there more money to male boldness than ME.
    Since they are solved, does that mean we get the money :rofl:

10. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

I think men look just fine with or sans a full head of hair. So my vote is to give ME the funds.

Little Bluestem and Seven like this.
  11. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can I respectfully remind people that 'baldness'
    1. is not just a problem that affects men
    2. it includes conditions of alopecia
    3. it can be traumatising to people

12. Alvin

No argument but its "funny" that it gets more research money then a debilitating and sometimes deadly disease. I think posters are just blowing off some steam over this injustice.

13. Luther Blissett

Agreed, it's not being done out of malice, just asking people to think of others affected. :)

It would be pretty cool if there could be a future treatment that could help types of baldness, especially in children and women who are not generally thought of as being at risk.

14. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the reminder @Luther Blissett.

I haven't read the research - can anyone clarify whether this research related to genetic male pattern baldness, or whether it also covered other hair loss conditions such as alopecia?

15. Luther Blissett

@Trish This article seems clearer as to what was being studied, why, and who funded it. :)

https://www.femtomedicine.com/ucla-...e-stem-cells-to-make-hair-grow-ucla-newsroom/

16. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, Luther. I confess I'd run out of energy for reading articles.

17. Luther Blissett

No problem :hug:

Here's a video from the lead author of the paper explaining what they are studying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpGuegtPFTw

From what I understand, she is part of a wider group who are studying stem cells in different organs, in her team they are studying the skin. Part of the reason for studying this area is to see the relationship between skin cells and cancer. They also seem to have a focus on creating commercial products.

If they can produce a topical cream for regrowing hair, this seems to me to be a good way to produce a product that would provide income for further wider research.

18. MErmaid

MErmaid Guest

Since this is a forum for PwME, and I am a member, and I have ME, and I have baldness, I feel that I have a right to speak my mind about this topic.

I feel that baldness is more a cosmetic issue, that offers options of hats and wigs, if one feels emotionally inclined to cover up the issue. Regarding ME, which is not a cosmetic issue, I can’t go to the store and purchase an item that takes away my PEM.

I feel that given a choice between investing research dollars into curing baldness vs. curing ME, I vote for curing ME.

I also feel that in the US, where I live, there is too much of an emphasis placed on cosmetic issues. When I see research dollars funded into cosmetic issues, while ME is so poorly underfunded, I am not pleased. I feel that I am not the only member on this forum that feels this way. I feel that we, as members, should be able to let off steam about this issue, since I feel it’s a sensitive topic among us.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  19. Rabbit

Rabbit Established Member

Hair loss is devastating. ME caused mine. There have been days I thought I could rock bald if I felt well and was vibrantly healthy, but there have been plenty of days I would have gladly thrown myself in bed just to not be grieved by the person reflected in the mirror.

It really isn't an either/or thing. Loss is loss and it all hurts. I am thankful that medicine is starting to realize that what you see outside is not "normal" but an extension of what is inside and I am hopeful that these hair loss studies will work backwards in providing answers for the root cause of some of the things that plague us - like ME.

20. Luther Blissett

With respect, I was trying to point out that:

• The funding mainly came from cancer charities and funds
    • it is part of research into things like the causes of skin cancer
    I am unable to find any research funds that is going towards Male Pattern Baldness in and of itself. I've found funding for exploring the link between baldness and prostate cancer, the link between baldness and heart disease, etc.

This whole thing we have about research money going into male baldness seems a red herring based on a misunderstanding of what the funds were for.

We can be upset with amounts and uses of funding without belittling sufferers of other illnesses.