1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 11th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Virios Therapeutics - biotech company with anti-viral therapies for post-infection syndromes

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Sly Saint, May 8, 2021.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.pharmiweb.com/press-rel...t-at-the-benzinga-global-small-cap-conference

MEMarge, sebaaa, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Virios currently holds 20 patents that include composition of matter, a unique synergy patent and method of use patents for FM, IBS & CFS patents. as well as Functional Somatic Syndrome (recently renamed the Somatic Symptom Disorder (SSD). These additional chronic conditions represent a substantially larger market opportunity. The below listed SSD conditions are all chronic-pain related conditions. Based on blinded survey data, we believe that many of the SSD conditions will be responsive to treatment with IMC-1.
    https://www.virios.com/pipeline

1. Fibromyalgia

2. Irritable Bowel Syndrome

3. Chronic Pelvic Pain

4. Chronic Neck and Back Pain

5. Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction (TMJ)

6. Frequent Headaches

sebaaa, Hutan and DokaGirl like this.
  3. voner

voner Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is the company begun from Skip Pridgen's protocols. He is on the board of Directors:

William L. Pridgen, M.D
    William L. Pridgen, M.D. is our founder and has been a director since 2018. Dr. Pridgen is a board-certified surgeon practicing with Tuscaloosa Surgical Associates, P.C. in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Dr. Pridgen obtained his B.S. in Biology from Rhodes College, attending the medical school and completing his surgical residency at the University of Tennessee College of Medicine. Dr. Pridgen is certified in general surgery and is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons. Dr. Pridgen has spent nearly 20 years searching for effective treatments in IBS, FM, and MECFS, and served as a physician and surgeon in the United States Navy for five years.

4. cfsandmore

cfsandmore Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are they (Skip Pridgen) the team doing the Phase 2B trial?

edit: added Skip Pridgen

5. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How could Somatic Symptom Disorder possibly be successfully and/or ethically be treated using antivirals - given that the definition excludes any biological cause for symptoms?

Or, is it just a case of lets make some money from the sickies (doesn't matter if it's ethical or might work)?

(I am aware that most, if not all, people diagnosed with SSD probably have a biological reason for their symptoms, just not ones that a GP or his favourite psychiatrist can be bothered to look for. It just puzzles me how people who have decided that there can be no biomedical explanation, who then diagnose SSD, can then be happy to offer antivirals - to the same patients).

Is this another have cake, eat it, and then still have all the cake scenario?

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    AndroidEeyore, Mij, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  6. voner

voner Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan and cfsandmore like this.
  7. Sly Saint

Virios Therapeutics’ Announces Dosing of First Patient in IMC-2 Long-COVID Treatment Trial

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/inv...-patient-in-imc-2-long-covid-treatment-trial/

RedFox, Mij, Trish and 2 others like this.
  8. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

There doesn't seem to be anything in Clinical Trials for IMC-2 (there's one for IMC-002, but that seems to be a different treatment for a different disease and a different company). And yet the first patient is being dosed.

If anyone knows Lucinda Bateman, maybe they could ask her to ensure that the trial plan is lodged in the Clinical Trials register before the trial starts, for every trial that they have any involvement with? It's even more important when the trial is being done for a for-profit company.
    The Bateman Horne Center must be turning a rather good profit by running these trials for speculative companies - which is fine, so long as they do a scrupulously great job. Pre-registration is surely a fundamental thing to do to avoid any suggestion of 'being able to be bought'.

shak8, voner, RedFox and 3 others like this.
  9. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The "Virus Hypothesis".

10. Sly Saint

press release
    https://greenstocknews.com/news/nas...to-discuss-imc-1-fibromyalgia-phase-3-program

RedFox likes this.
  11. Laurie P

Laurie P Senior Member (Voting Rights)

copied post
    "This open-label, single-center, investigator-initiated study was conducted at the Bateman Horne Center (“BHC”) with an unrestricted investigational grant."

Virios Therapeutics Announces Positive Data Demonstrating Improvement in Multiple Long-COVID Symptoms Following Treatment with a Combination of Valacyclovir and Celecoxib in an Exploratory, Open-Label, Proof of Concept Study

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-...-of-Valacyclovir-and-Celecoxib-in-an-Exp.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2023
    RedFox and Hutan like this.
  12. Hutan

Not surprising that celecoxib would help pain.

I'm skeptical of valacyclovir making a significant difference. It's been trialled in ME/CFS before.
    Forum thread here:Antivirals as ME/CFS or Long Covid treatments (e.g. valacyclovir, valgancyclovir)

Still, it will be interesting to see the results of a blinded controlled study, so I hope they are able to do that. I hope they have treatment arms with each drug alone as well as combined. Even if a study just found that pain control improves quality of life, that would be useful.

MEMarge, RedFox, Sean and 5 others like this.
  13. Hubris

Hubris Senior Member (Voting Rights)

These drugs have already been tried by so many patients for decades. What reason is there for not going straight to a blinded trial? Are they trying to milk unsophisticated investors?

Sid, RedFox and Hutan like this.
  14. Hutan

Just thinking about the blinding - that will be difficult. It will be fairly obvious if someone is receiving the painkiller, so, if they don't have treatment arms with each drug individually and combined, then I don't think the blinding will be effective. There will be some people who get frequent cold sores, and so the blinding of valacyclovir will also be compromised.

I hope that Bateman Horne (if they run the blinded controlled study) will use some good objective outcomes, such as wearable technology for activity monitoring.

MEMarge, RedFox, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  15. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kitty likes this.