1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 11th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Antivirals as ME/CFS or Long Covid treatments (e.g. valacyclovir, valgancyclovir)

Discussion in 'Drug and supplement treatments' started by Lidia Thompson, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Lidia Thompson

Lidia Thompson Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Split from
    Mail Online: Why many of those struck by Long Covid may be suffering from glandular fever: Blood tests on some patients are coming back positive for ‘

Here is a link from ME-pedia on the use use of valaciclovir.

The study that is mentioned on this page showed that, " Improvement occurred over the course of 3-5 months with 85% percent of the patients responding by 3 months, and 92% by 5 months. Symptoms of fatigue, exertion induced malaise, excessive sleep, napping, unrefreshing sleep, headaches, cognitive symptoms, and emotional symptoms all resolved."

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

https://me-pedia.org/wiki/Valaciclovir

And here's a link to an article mentioned on that page:
    https://www.psychiatryadvisor.com/h...tiviral-therapy-in-chronic-fatigue-treatment/

As someone who's sickness (probably) started with glandular fever, I would be most interested to know what folk here know about this.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2021
    Ash, ScottTriGuy, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

alktipping, Yessica, Kitty and 5 others like this.
  3. Lidia Thompson

Gosh ... I know I'm treading on thin ice here ... (believe me I know!) ... BUT ... would there be any harm from taking 3 months worth of valaciclovir (which is normally given for genital herpes) and seeing what happens?
    What are your thoughts?

Hutan, Ash, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You might get Stevens Johnson syndrome and go blind, or die of agranulocytosis or whatever. Drugs can have nasty effects so are best saved for when they are likely to be helpful.

I suspect that changes in EBV antibody titres after Covid19 are partly just coincidence and partly what is called an anamnestic response - when the immune system is stimulated by a new antigen it often produces a bit more antibody to everything it remembers from before. It looks to me as if Dr Prusty is talking through his hat.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2021
    Hutan, Ash, shak8 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Lidia Thompson

Thanks for this Jonathan.
    This is the sort of feedback that I need to hear.

Valaciclovir can be fairly easily bought online (even in the UK).
    I therefore assumed it was not particularly dangerous/potent ... not quite at the level of taking paracetamol (at the correct dose) but thereabouts. If this is not the case, I need to stop toying with the idea!

I'm wondering what you think of this article in that case? Could it just be someone trying to make a name for himself by making big claims in the media? (It's not as if we haven't seen this type of behaviour before.)
    https://www.psychiatryadvisor.com/h...tiviral-therapy-in-chronic-fatigue-treatment/

Hutan, Ash, Starlight and 6 others like this.
  6. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Personal anecdote about taking valacyclovir, raised in this thread (I have ME/CFS and long covid):

I have been taking valacyclovir for 6 years now. (I had an initial EBV onset when I was a teenager but became much more ill later in my mid 20s, and have been sick for the past 13 years, don't know the subsequent triggering virus. I had shingles as a child.) After a few years an ME/CFS doctor recommended trying the valacyclovir as I still had v high antibody levels to EBV. (This was the rationale, as I recall). (I don't think it was "reactivated"; I am not sure what this means really.)

It appeared to help me re: PEM from physical exercise, so I kept taking it. (It is the second of two medications that really seemed to help me, the other being piracetam for cognitive stuff and PEM after mental tasks, etc) I improved to the point of walking in the park again. I have tried to come off it but I developed hearing loss (I don't know why) which gets worse when I stop taking it. My ENT prescribed courses of acyclovir for this; the first course really cleared up quite a lot of hearing loss - I was very surprised. He said after the event that I'd had a 1 in 5 chance of positive response from antivirals. It was just a week-long course. When it became muffled again months later he suggested more short courses. I now have to continue with a maintenance dose of valacyclovir all the time. My ENT prescribes it now as I don't have a doctor for ME/CFS. (I have been getting my kidney function monitored regularly throughout this time; no change) I hope it's not dangerous but would not want a recurrence of what happened with my hearing when I went off it altogether.

I didn't want to go into a big essay but that is my experience; I am not recommending anything or saying this is a good idea in any way. As it was raised in the thread I thought I'd relate this anecdote.

I had suspected covid last March. I now cannot go out anymore due to PEM. I had a huge deterioration. I doubled the valacyclovir dose to see if it would help me with LC symptoms. I got a bit more energy, but I think that would have happened anyway if I increased my dose. It didn't do anything different.

I have not had any further EBV related antibody tests post long covid. On the one occasion I had repeat testing during the past 6 years, the antibodies still measured above the scale of the test ranges, as they had the first time, so we did not know if there was a change in the level.

I have no idea what it's doing - the medication - and try to take as little as possible. I have wondered whether it may help a subset of patients. I hope it's not too dangerous. :( xx

Ash, ScottTriGuy, MEMarge and 12 others like this.
  7. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh no. :(

Ash, Yessica, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  8. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thought I'd share: I just saw someone in a long covid group whose doctor prescribed acyclovir for her (after several months of symptoms).

Ash, MEMarge, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Didn't see this question, sorry. This is just phoney advertising, not responsible medical care.
    I don't know the exact profile of safety with these drugs but in the past things like this have been associated with serious adverse effects. Maybe not often but not rare.

Ash, Starlight, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  10. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I took valtrex (valacyclovir) for 18 months due to recurrent cold sores that started after I got ME/CFS. For most of that 18 months, each time I ran out of valtrex, the cold sores would return. Eventually though, I could stop taking the valtrex and just get an occasional cold sore.

I tracked my ME/CFS symptoms on and off the Valtrex. Disappointingly, the anti-viral made no difference to my ME/CFS.

Ash, Dom, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  11. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Did your ME/CFS involve a viral trigger?

MEMarge and alktipping like this.
  12. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It immediately followed an illness (three of us in my family had the illness and then developed ME/CFS). I think it was a viral illness - 'gastric flu' although no specific pathogen was confirmed.

Ash, Starlight, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  13. Dom

Dom Established Member (Voting Rights)

I've tried Valtrex a few times, even tiny doses make me feel really unwell. In the end I titrated up to 1/1.5g a day over several weeks, but it just brought on a crash after some mild exertion which lasted about 4-6 weeks. It made my symptoms much worse, severe dizziness on valtrex + depression and joint aches.

Ash, Starlight, oldtimer and 4 others like this.
  14. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Hi @Dom, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you had such a bad crash following this treatment.

Dom, oldtimer, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  15. Dom

Dom Established Member (Voting Rights)

Yes wasn't great for me. Maybe Valcyte would be different RE Lerner's oft recognised issue with some patients not doing well on Valtrex - but the cost of that is astronomical.

MEMarge likes this.