1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Video: ME/CFS Alert, Episode 119: Interview with Tom Kindlon

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by ahimsa, Oct 5, 2020.

1. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hrPnK1OWXQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hrPnK1OWXQ

mango, Sean, Kitty and 35 others like this.
  2. ahimsa

Kitty, MEMarge, Binkie4 and 16 others like this.
  3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Tom who?

alktipping, Sean, Kitty and 12 others like this.
  4. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He's a quiet guy, you probably have never heard of him, he never promotes himself/his social media channels at all :laugh:

Sean, Kitty, Chezboo and 29 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Great interview, @Tom Kindlon. You come across really well, and I just love that Irish accent.

Kitty, Snow Leopard, Chezboo and 21 others like this.
  6. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was good to put a voice to your writings -- thanks for sharing....and the work you do @Tom Kindlon

alktipping, Kitty, MEMarge and 11 others like this.
  7. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Around 6:00, Llewellyn King says, "Trinity is the great University of Ireland..." and the computer-generated subtitles say "Trinity is the great University of Iowa..." :)

[To be fair, the audio is a bit garbled at that point.]

alktipping, Kitty, Chezboo and 11 others like this.
  8. ahimsa

LOL! And this is why auto-generated subtitles are often called CRAP-tions instead of captions.

When it's a minor error it's no big deal but some of the errors are pretty bad.

I can hear pretty well. I can usually figure out what's being said (although sometimes accents throw me off). But I often read transcripts instead because it takes more energy for me to watch a video than to read the transcript.

However, people who are deaf or hard of hearing need captions or transcripts that have been edited/corrected by a human being.

alktipping, Kitty, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  9. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've always wondered who is Llewellyn King and who did he become involved in me/cfs?

edit: corrected my mispelling of his first name

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  10. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So far as I know, King became interested in ME because his friend and colleague, retired Wall Street analyst Deborah Waroff, has been afflicted by it since 1989. Together they created a YouTube series called "ME/CFS ALERT" which is devoted to investigating the disease from many different angles.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    alktipping, Kitty, MEMarge and 12 others like this.
  11. Peter

Peter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nice interview and thanks for all hard work. I can relate very much to the development of disease, from hanging on for a long time, to the completely other spectrum today.

Anecdotally Dublin will always be a special place, cause that was in the early confusing days of ME. Just about 15 years ago we were some friends going over to Dublin to visit a friend, planned long time ago. I do remember that I flew over one day before the rest of the guys, so that I could rest in advance and maybe take part in some activities. Spent much of the time in the hotel. But I did manage to see the fabulous Trinity and the Guinness museum. Even a little hurling!

So much for fear/avoidance, bad motivation and all such nonsense and speculation as part of ME? Guess everyone with same trajectory of disease wish they actually were a whole lot more fearful and did the right things back in the days. Unfortunately that was not possible with little knowledge and no sound advice.

alktipping, Kitty, Chezboo and 7 others like this.
  12. Tom Kindlon

Thanks for all the feedback. It’s difficult putting yourself out there. I’m sure many have restrained themselves given the critical comments many incl. I often make in the ME world!

There have been quite a few comments generally about my accent: you have it all wrong, you all have accents, I’m the only person in the world who doesn’t have an accent :laugh:

Michelle, Joh, alktipping and 16 others like this.
  13. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Makes total sense. He has a wonderful voice for pbs, I may watch some of his videos on his website.

@Tom Kindlon It was a lovely piece, and it does take courage to put yourself out there. I think you handled everything with class and clarity.

alktipping, Kitty, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  14. Tom Kindlon

15. Mariaba

Mariaba New Member

Lovely interview Tom. I liked the informal conversational tone, letting your personality shine through. I hope there's a part 2.

alktipping, Kitty, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  16. Tom Kindlon

Thanks, that's nice to hear.

The possibility was never brought up by Llewellyn or any of his team, so there doesn't seem to be any plans at present.

alktipping, Kitty, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  17. Trish

Hi @Tom Kindlon, I was surprised to see the reference to Co-Cure as I'd never heard of it. I did a google search and found this website:
    https://www.co-cure.org/
    I can't find anywhere on the site any names of writers. I wonder whether you still have any involvement in it.

alktipping, Sean, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  18. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've been receiving their email updates ever since I was diagnosed in 1999 – for years it was one of very few sources of news about research and developments in ME.

19. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, Tom & Mr King. :thumbup:

Yes, we can tell that because nearly every third of your fine words is perfectly clear.

*he says in a broad north Australian drawl*

:p

Hutan, alktipping, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  20. Trish

That's good to hear.

That seems to make the website I found rather puzzling. There are very few articles on it, and while it has one or two recent developments briefly mentioned, there is nothing much at all about research. I wondered whether this was a different organisation. The website I found seems a bit over simplified and even, in some places, misleading.

alktipping, Kitty and Andy like this.