Using acid reflux drugs is linked to higher migraine risk, study warns

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Apr 26, 2024.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Using acid reflux drugs is linked to higher migraine risk, study warns (msn.com)

2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

similar article in Daily express
    Common heartburn drugs taken by millions 'increase the risk of agonising migraines' (msn.com)

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

You can pry my Omeprazole from my cold dead hands. No way I am going back to that level of persistent reflux without an equally effective replacement.

Serious reflux is not just a bit of discomfort after over eating. It really is horrendous and crippling, and can happen on a completely empty stomach. It is also a serious risk for long-term complications, like Barret's Esophagus, which I now have, probably due to not having the reflux adequately controlled until I was in my early 40s, as well as various cancers, including esophageal cancer, a particularly nasty one with a high fatality rate (5 year survival rate ≈15%).

alktipping, Midnattsol, Trish and 3 others like this.
  4. yannlk

yannlk Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. My 40mg pantoprazole is staying with me for life. Especially now that I’m bedridden. Living with ME you already have to make so many lifestyle choices that healthy people would consider “unhealthy”. And this is just one of them…

Sean, alktipping, Trish and 2 others like this.
  5. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

that was my feeling too, about my lansoprazole!:D

I'd had reflux & heartburn since i was a child (when of course no one believed me because they thought i was just copying because my gran had it), but it stayed with me as an ongoing problem regardless of what i ate, how much i ate or how often, i tried everything inc all the OTC remedies which were utterly useless. It was so so painful affecting my life., sleep etc

Then about 20yrs ago i heard about PPIs & after a clear endoscopy i was given them. It felt like a miracle. I'm aware of issues with them for calcium & iron absorption etc but i really dont care. to be pain free is such a big thing. However perhaps if i had more regular migraines i would try coming off them, i guess you have to weigh up the different problems

I do get migraines, but (touch wood!) only about once a yr these days, so i

MeSci, Sean, oldtimer and 4 others like this.
  6. yannlk

yannlk Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Trying to come of PPI’s gave me such bad rebound reflux I lost 4kg in 2 weeks because I could barely eat it was so bad. I think until there is a better option a lot of us are just cursed to stay with them for life.

MeSci, Sean, oldtimer and 4 others like this.
  7. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Same here.
    Yes, regardless of the possible long-term effects, I am more than happy to stay on them for my remaining days. The alternative is way worse.

Every time I have tried to stop taking them or even reduce the dose the reflux comes straight back, as bad as it ever was.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
    MeSci, yannlk, Trish and 1 other person like this.