1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Use your Amazon Smile to fundraise while shopping

Discussion in 'Fundraising' started by Sly Saint, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just signed up to this for Invest in ME.
    Note; to get the donation when you shop on Amazon you need to go via a different URL. This is explained and you can get an Amazon assistant addon for your browser.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/

Yessica, Sarah94, Annamaria and 11 others like this.
  2. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I LOLed at nothing to do with EC, smile is so synonymous with her that we are jaded now :wtf:

Sarah94, Annamaria, Louie41 and 4 others like this.
  3. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sarah94, Annamaria, Andy and 5 others like this.
  4. Sly Saint

"Amazon donates 0.5% of the net purchase price (excluding VAT, returns and shipping fees) of eligible purchases to the charitable organisation of your choice."

Annamaria, Andy, Dolphin and 4 others like this.
  5. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oops. You're right. That's what I meant.

Annamaria, Andy, Dolphin and 2 others like this.
  6. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd been using a link on meruk website where I'd thought more than 0.5% went to them from amazon.
    It's worth doing as I regularly shop there simply for convenience, or price but it doesn't make amazon a hero, their tax affairs and many other companies give good cash back on sites such as easy fundraising or topcashback (up to 12-15% in some cases) so don't think amazon is always the best way to assist charities through shopping.

Sarah94, Annamaria, Andy and 3 others like this.
  7. Jan

Jan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well that was so easy even I could do it!

Annamaria, Andy, Indigophoton and 3 others like this.
  8. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Merged thread

Many, if not all, of the mainstream ME charities are part of this, so it's easy to donate when you shop.

UK instructions
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/chpf/about/

US instructions
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/chpf/about/

Search "smile amazon" to find out if this scheme runs in your country if other than UK and US.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2019
  9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I recently got a notice from Amazon about the totals and as of June 9, $10,680 was raised for the OMF, with a recent quarterly total of $1,022, out of a grand total of $134.9M to date.

Sadly doesn't work from Canada.

10. ringding

ringding Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I didn't know you could do that, thanks. I've tried to avoid using them for years, as a bit of a protest at the low tax they get away with. However, my wife uses them and since I've been stuck indoors this year I've started to as well. This will at least alleviate some of my guilt! :)

11. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I do this. I don’t like using Amazon but shopping is my worst enemy so I do order quite a bit from them to avoid trailing off to physical shops. I don’t think it’s a vast amount but at least it is something. I chose ME Association. I don’t agree with the way they do some things but they do a lot that deserves support.

12. Annamaria

Annamaria Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nor for OMF from the UK. I checked.

Sarah94, MSEsperanza and Yessica like this.
  13. EzzieD

EzzieD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do most of my shopping on Amazon and eBay due to being mostly housebound, and have been donating to Invest In ME Research via Amazon's Smile scheme for the past couple of years. It's not much but every little bit helps. :)

14. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I donate to Invest in ME too. According to the last mail I got I've sent them about £40 over the last couple of years, at no additional cost to me – it might only be a small amount, but it's still better than a slap in the face with a wet haddock!

15. Lisa108

Lisa108 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From Germany, one can use Amazon Smile to donate to "Deutsche Gesellschaft für ME/CFS" or "Fatigatio".

There is a charity called "OMF International Deutschland", but this is the "Overseas Missionary Fellowship".

16. Joh

Joh Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In addition to Amazon Smile, there's also Gooding. Gooding works for over 1800 online-shops (many big ones like Deutsche Bahn, iTunes, online pharmacies, Etsy etc.) and while Amazon Smile gives 0,5% of a purchase, they give up to 8%. I have an "app" (don't know the right term in English) in my browser and when I open an online shop that is part of the program, get a reminder that I can collect donations (Gooding also lists e.g. the "Deutsche Gesellschaft"). Amazon used to be part of gooding but then they made their own Smile program (and save a lot of money with 0,5% instead of 8%). I use both Amazon Smile and Gooding.

There are different programs in Germany, might be worth to check if there are additional other programs in the country one lives in. Most give more % than Amazon Smile and they can be used both.

17. Sly Saint

18. rogerblack

rogerblack Established Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

Amazon Smile is a program to donate a small portion of the price of stuff you buy on Amazon to charity you nominate.
    This only works if you actually go to smile.amazon.co.uk - or similar.
    In order to ease remembering this, there are a number of browser addons that will redirect you to smile.amazon - when you click a link to amazon.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/amazon-smile/ - as one example. (several exist, not affiliated with above author).
    So far, the 15p I've donated through this doesn't compare to my direct donations, but it all helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2019
    rvallee, Yessica, Dolphin and 2 others like this.
  19. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I use Smile, but for other shops Give as You Live is good. Unbelievably it appears I've raised £93.29 there!!! Obviously I have a bad shopping habit and need to rein myself back! But I have been using them for a long time, so maybe I'm not that bad... :rofl:

20. ProudActivist

ProudActivist Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have raised over £130 with give as you live too. Every week we get a Sainsbury’s grocery deliver and that adds 50p. Over the years it adds up! Worth an extra click I think.

Tom Kindlon, Sarah94 and ladycatlover like this.