1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

USA: Yale Long Covid clinic - Professor Lisa Sanders

Discussion in 'USA clinics and doctors' started by Hutan, Sep 16, 2023.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

There's just been an interview of Professor Lisa Sanders, of Diagnosis fame, who is now running the Yale Long Covid Clinic.

Sunday 17 September Radio New Zealand - If I remember, I'll add a better link when it is up.
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/prog...-for-many-people-it-s-been-a-terrible-journey

I had some concerns before the interview, as the Diagnosis programme sometimes made inferences of psychosomaticism when the patient couldn't be diagnosed with something else, or didn't respond to their treatments.

However, Sanders came across well. There is the usual playing around with unevidenced treatments, but then someone with Long Covid making the effort to get to Yale doesn't just want to be told, 'yep, you have Long Covid. Sorry, there's nothing we can do for you.'. So, it's understandable.

I really liked the dismissal of psychosomaticism, and the clarity about how many hypotheses are in play. I liked the answer to a question about tests not showing anything, Sanders said something like, 'tests are like questions. If you don't ask the right questions, you don't get the answer.' . She mentioned the game of 20 Questions, and how it's possible to ask questions that get 20 'no' responses, and how frustrating that is.

There was a number of mentions of ME/CFS, and she specifically said that the correct term for chronic fatigue syndrome is ME/CFS, which was nice.

I don't think Sanders' knowledge of Long Covid/ ME/CFS is better than many of the members here, and, in some aspects might be worse. But, she is clearly smart and clearly seems to have made an effort to educate herself.

Would I beat a path to the door of the Yale Long covid clinic? No. Knowledge of treatments such as compression stockings and salt to increase blood volume can be picked up online and implemented without a doctor. Stellate ganglion block doesn't excite me as a treatment I would want to try.

But, if someone needed a diagnosis for insurance and they lived in the US, I think people could do worse than go to this clinic. And I expect there will be potential to take part in research trials.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
    MEMarge, Wyva, rvallee and 13 others like this.
  2. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm just looking at what is included in the transcript, so maybe not well contextualised.

That's not great.

Does that follow? Probably the same sex ratio occurs in LC as ME. And we haven't previously been having the conversation about ME. The difference now is the shear numbers (female and male) over a compressed timeframe. I suspect even if it were only women being affected by LC we would still be having the conversation.

MEMarge, RedFox, Michelle and 4 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I thought when I read the article that it didn't accurately represent the interview. But there was the odd questionable bit and some inconsistencies in the interview answers.

MEMarge, SNT Gatchaman and Trish like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If anyone is offering stellate ganglion block I would keep well away.

MEMarge, Hutan, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  5. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why do you say this? I'm asking because it's been suggested in the past by my GP as a possible treatment for my 24/7 headache.

livinglighter, RedFox and Michelle like this.
  6. Michelle

Michelle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I actually just listened to Lisa Sanders's book Every Patient is a Story a couple of weeks ago. For the most part it was a very interesting look at how clinicians diagnose conditions. It was a sort of behind the scenes look at how providers are trained to think, though in some ways the book was also targeting providers by reminding them of what is necessary to correctly diagnose patients such as a proper physical exam. That said, I couldn't help but feel a pang of jealousy that she or the other clinicians mentioned actually seemed to have the time to spend and/or interest in working through diagnosing challenging cases.

There was a whole chapter on Chronic Lyme, which she is skeptical of as a clinical entity, but she also was clear that patients are seriously ill and we don't understand why. I did wince, however, when she went down the "militant Lyme patients who send death threats" road. Yet she didn't dwell on it and didn't use it to dismiss the suffering of patients (though was very dismissive of ILADS). Moreover, the patient in question in that chapter, after being dx with Chronic Lyme and treated with antibiotics for a couple of years that just made her sicker, turned out to have polymyalgia rheumatica. So mostly Sanders's concern was that a Chronic Lyme diagnosis could be used to distract from an underlying treatable condition.

After listening to that book, I'd certainly go see her if I could.

Mij, MEMarge, RedFox and 3 others like this.
  7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Because stellate ganglion block has been around all my medical life as a magic treatment for anything puzzling that there is no other treatment for and as far as I know there has never been good evidence for it being any use in anything.

Another words it has been the paradigm placebo injection used by physicians suffering from furor therapeuticus or a desire to empty wallets. In 1980 I might have taken it seriously. It may possibly be useful for some niche problem or other but I never heard of any good quality trials.

obeat, Michelle, RedFox and 6 others like this.
  8. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you:)

RedFox, FMMM1, bobbler and 1 other person like this.