USA 2024: Want to participate in MAESTRO? Chronic Lyme; Long Covid

Discussion in 'Recruitment into current ME/CFS research studies' started by Mij, Apr 13, 2024.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Advancing understanding of chronic illness following infection and identifying novel biomarkers of Lyme disease and Long COVID

The MIT MAESTRO study leverages leading edge technology through collaborations with academic and industry partners. The goal of our study is to investigate why some people develop illness from acute infection using the lens of both chronic Lyme and Long Covid- while also answering one very important question. Who is likely to develop chronic symptoms after infection and why?

We aim to identify biomarkers that can distinguish individuals who will or will not return to health and to generate actionable information that can advance clinical care, clinical trials, and future therapeutics.

https://talresearchgroup.mit.edu/mitmaestro

Peter Trewhitt, Hutan and duncan like this.
  2. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No phone number. Shame on them.

It may be a generation thing, but if I can't talk to somebody, I'm not filling out any questionnaire.

3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

EndME, Peter Trewhitt, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  4. duncan

That's Bay Area Lyme. How circuitous of them. Lol. Thanks @Mij , I'm going to call just to say WTF. Nicely. In a patronizing old guy sorta way.

5. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You may wish to consider reading this article instead. See thread MIT Technology Review: Tackling long-haul diseases

Sean, EndME, Peter Trewhitt and 6 others like this.
  6. wingate

wingate Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. duncan

I read it a couple months back. I got screened by their automated questionnaire back then, flagged due to age. They can over-ride that. I'm curious enough about the integrity of the efforts, and the metrics being used, to try to get in - but I will need to talk to a human with PI authority.

They say some good stuff, only maybe that's just marketing. Historically, that's not a chronic Lyme friendly area - still, there have been some notable exceptions.

8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unfortunately, I have zero confidence in this argument. It's a very rational argument that can be demonstrated using simple numbers, but it assumes that health care systems are rational and actually care about abandoning millions of people who don't have demonstrable pathology. We've seen how comfortable they have been in sacrificing the disabled, then being completely negligent in dealing with mass disability that they are responsible for. And that's on top of having been completely negligent with tens of millions of us for decades.

As we have seen, this capacity to never look up seems unlimited. Health care systems are unlikely to be overburdened until many years down the line, and the likely response would probably be to create pathways that more effectively neglect us. Problems only count when they're, well, counted. And there is so much effort going on in preventing any of this from being counted. It's all diffuse, the dots can't be joined. In economics this is called an externality, the costs borne by the whole of society for the failures of an industry. Those are the kinds of problems we never deal with unless they are overcome by events, when the circumstances basically solve the problem without effort.

I still think that AI will make all the difference here, properly counting the size of the problem and making it obviously cheaper to solve than leave to fester. The only real question is what time scale: before the next election cycle? feasible, long after? forget it. But all bets are off about what the response will be, given that the responsibility can largely be attributed on the medical profession and every single government in the world, pretty much the least accountable entities when it comes to their own failures, since they can decide what is legal and what isn't about their own actions. More or less, as permitted anyway.

Still, it's good to see people who see things for what they are. That's still such a rare thing. I wish them great success.

Sean, EndME and SNT Gatchaman like this.
  9. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

We’ve let men dictate the direction of research funding for so long,” Tal says.

Bringing women researchers into the ME/CFS field doesn't seem to have made much difference. Some of the leading lights in the psychogenic school are female. If anything they have only given legitimacy to the men's pre-existing views by removing the criticism that there are not enough women involved.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
    rvallee, NelliePledge and Trish like this.