1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

MIT Technology Review: Tackling long-haul diseases

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by SNT Gatchaman, Feb 29, 2024.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.technologyreview.com/2024/02/28/1087617/tackling-long-haul-diseases

RedFox, oldtimer, rvallee and 9 others like this.
  2. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"For Tal, the similarities with Lyme disease were uncanny. “Long covid looks exactly, and I mean exactly, like chronic Lyme,” she says. “One is caused by bacteria, and one is caused by a virus. And I started to ask myself this question: Does it matter which road you took to Rome? Or does it only matter that you’re in Rome?”

"This is one of the most fundamental questions facing researchers who study infection-mediated chronic illness. One school of thought—backed by increasing evidence in the case of long covid—holds that stubbornly persistent pathogens are driving symptoms in at least a portion of the patient population. According to another hypothesis, the immune system has successfully vanquished the infection but remains stuck in a faulty state. Determining the underlying cause of these conditions will be essential to developing the most effective treatments, whether in the form of immune-assisting drugs such as antibiotics and antivirals or immune-calming drugs such as biologic therapies and steroids."

Evidently they are using some form of AI platform to help in the analysis.

3. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Or at least to draft the article about it. Which I would, to be fair.

4. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2024