1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Open US (South Florida): The Use of Directed Probiotics in ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Recruitment into current ME/CFS research studies' started by Tom Kindlon, Jul 29, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.nova.edu/nim/research-s...ages/INIM-studies/kaneka-probiotic-study.html
    The Use of Directed Probiotics in ME/CFS
    In this virtual study, we aim to use the probiotic, Floradapt Intensive GI (other name i3.1), to reduce gastrointestinal (GI) inflammation and normalize the GI, to determine whether resetting your microbiome will help your gut health and perhaps your body as well while simultaneously assessing the effectiveness and safety of this intervention based on the severity of illness.

Who can Participate?
    INIM Researchers will evaluate the use of probiotics in 100 participants who:
    • Are between 45 to 70 years of age
    • Meet the Institute of Medicine (Canadian Consensus Criteria) case definition for ME/CFS
    • May or may not be diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
    For more information, please email KanekaStudy@nova.edu.
    ---
    To facilitate sharing:

ahimsa, Peter Trewhitt, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  2. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Meet the Institute of Medicine (Canadian Consensus Criteria) case definition for ME/CFS"
    The IOM criteria are not the CCC.
    Did they leave out "or" in front of Canadian....?

Samuel, Peter Trewhitt, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  3. Helene

Helene Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To participate in the study you need to be in South Florida for blood draws.

Here's the reply I got in response to my inquiry:
    "Unfortunately, we need to have our patients locally in South Florida at either INIM Davie Clinic or Kendall Clinic for two blood drawers.
    We are sorry that you will not be able to participate in this study. Please let us know if you have any other ME/CFS patients who would be interested in this Study.
    Regards,

Anthony Park
    Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.)
    Clinical Study Coordinator, Institute of Neuro-Immune Medicine
    NSU Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine
    Phone: (801) 910-0491
    Email: KanekaStudy@nova.edu"
    Edited to add missing word.

4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Can someone ask where the study is registered e.g. on Clinical Trials?

I think any researcher advertising to recruit for a trial should include a link to the study's entry in a common trial registry.

5. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had a short mail exchange with Dr Park and they haven’t registered the study nor published its protocol. It has received ethical approval.

I am concerned that Dr Park told me “[the] result will be shared through Kaneka Probiotic Company once [the study] is done.”

Peter Trewhitt, Lilas, shak8 and 6 others like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That's concerning. So although they are calling it a clinical trial, it's really more of a marketing exercise, and unlikely to be subject to peer review. And probably not published at all if they get negative results.

RedFox, Hutan, alktipping and 7 others like this.
  7. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ugh. Hopefully they (Kaneka) are paying subjects since Kaneka is the beneficiary here.

Hutan and alktipping like this.