1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

United Kingdom: ME/CFS in The Times (including Sean O'Neill)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Robert 1973, Jun 25, 2020.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Times appears to be running another series of articles on ME by Sean O'Neil. I couldn't read the 2nd one but the first one was excellent. I think I even saw a 3rd one but can't remember...

‘Sometimes I wished I had cancer instead of ME: at least people would understand it’
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...at-least-people-would-understand-it-kfcz33tl9

Link between long Covid and ME could transform the lives of sufferers
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...ld-transform-the-lives-of-sufferers-ghft7x0jm

Kirsten, ahimsa, Michelle and 13 others like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kirsten, Michelle, Moosie and 12 others like this.
  3. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Those times articles are amazing, i couldnt quite believe what i was reading at one point in the 'Link between long covid & ME' one! And this, in a newspaper that i stopped reading some yrs ago because they printed a cartoon ridiculing PwME!

Thank you Sean O'Neil, thank you. Accurate, well researched & without bias. It shouldnt feel surreal, it should be normal, but it isnt & i for one would like to shake your hand sir!

Kirsten, janice, Starlight and 7 others like this.
  5. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just a pity they are behind a paywall.

6. JemPD

Yes it certainly is. I made the decision to pay the £8 for 8wks offer, so i could read what was being said (a couple members of my family read the print edition every day, so its important to me to know what they're being told.

7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Presumably you need to be sure to cancel before the offer period expires, as they will have your card details.

Invisible Woman likes this.
  8. JemPD

Indeed. Thats what phone reminder alarms are for :D

As well as telling me when to take my pills, etc etc etc. Goodness knows how i would manage to remember to do anything without the buzzer going off several times a day :rolleyes: Its coming to something when your phone starts leaving you messages telling you what to do.
    Turn on washing machine, cancel xyz subscription, take meds, unlock back gate,
    dorothy's birthday, add milk to online order. Stop when you need to. Are you confused... LIE DOWN YOU STUPID WOMAN!:D

9. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you have an Alexa you can also set it up to do things like this.

Invisible Woman and JemPD like this.
  10. JemPD

lol i dont even have a smart phone, or smart anything really, let alone alexa. I think i have alexa on my fire tv stick but i never use it - i dont understand why anyone thinks speaking is easier than pressing a button lol. Talking takes so much energy. Also then you have to be in the relevant room to the alexa to hear any reminder. Nah, my old nokia 105 is brilliant - go to the calendar and then set a reminder alarm for whatever you want, look at the screen & it gives you an instruction.

Sorry this is very off topic

Kirsten, Wonko, Simbindi and 4 others like this.
  11. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sometimes that's likely true, but I find as a non-patient when I try to explain to other non-patients, it often really is lack of understanding and not disbelief. it is really literally harder for people unfamiliar with it to understand what it means than if you say, "I have kidney cancer."

MSEsperanza, Kirsten, ahimsa and 8 others like this.
  13. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Once you have rested and start to feel better, it is very hard to understand that you can't start building up slowly again from there.

MSEsperanza, obeat, Kirsten and 9 others like this.