1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

United Kingdom: Getting a Wheelchair on the NHS

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by Matt (@DondochakkaB), Mar 11, 2018.

1. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I told the bitch assessor that to the end of my front garden was around 5 metres. She neglected to mention that. They lie by omission.

2. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They probably conveniently omit the wheelchair information too if its privately bought, if they wish to do so.

Harder to omit if its on your medical records after being prescribed one.

3. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's why I put a full description of my house and garden in writing on my PIP form (I had read the DWP assessors manual so had preempted the assumptions that HPs make). It's terrible, but it is really like being the pawn in a strategy game and you have to think ahead about the questions they may ask you and how they might twist your answers.

My first PIP assessment was at a centre, the second in my home. During the first assessment I was left in the 'waiting room', which was the entrance to a busy sports centre, for almost half an hour (I made sure not to arrive earlier than 5 minutes before the stated appointment time). I was on the point of collapse when the HP (an occupational therapist) came and called me in. I had a mental health support worker with me, but she was not my 'carer'. Due to the pain of sitting on a hard chair and coping with the noise of the fans, the lights and members of the public, I was already on the point of an autistic meltdown, even though I had professional support with me.

I (angrily and incoherently) asked the HP how far it was to the room, and when she admitted it was 'quite far', I asked her how she thought I would be able to walk the distance when I could barely sit anymore, much less stand and walk. She then offered to get me a wheelchair and to push me into the assessment! It turned out to be a long corridor (well over 20 metres), with fire doors, members of the public accessing their lockers, bags lying in the way, all serious 'health and safety' hazards needing to be negotiated. Clearly, that was how they deny most people the mobility element in my area as they undoubtedly write whether a claimant can walk the distance from the waiting room into the assessment room.

I stayed in the wheelchair provided for me throughout the 'assessment', which only lasted half and hour - the HP clearly had no idea how to manage an autistic person and she cut the session short as I was 'not coping'. My support worker told me the HP looked like she was fighting back tears at the end of her time with me (I hadn't noticed). She did recommend in her report that I have a home assessment at review (although my daugher still had to make a complaint to get me that when the time came because ATOS really don't like to offer these).

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  4. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

DWP guidelines state that people with autism should always be offered a home assessment, so it's shocking to hear that you were dragged into a centre! I was offered a home one for PIP without asking, so Capita were (at the time, anyway – it was over a year ago) at least sticking to the rules there.

5. Simbindi

The first time I was in the process of diagnosis, the second time when ATOS tried it on, they told me I had to get my GP to write, which she did. However, she was confused about why she needed to, she doesn't understand autism, she did it for me because of the journey time and my physical difficulties. They actually did agree to the home assessment after my daughter complained and before they actually received the GP letter, but my daughter had threatened the MPs involvement. My daughter was livid after the phone call with them (the way they treated her on the phone) and as a teacher she is used to remaining calm in very difficult circumstances!

Do you know where is it written that autistic people should be offered a home assessment? Others on the forum would probably appreciate knowing that information if you do have it.

I think Capita offer more home assessments than ATOS, ATOS just don't have the staff available (the nurse who did my home assessment told me that).

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    alktipping, Annamaria, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  6. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Simbindi – I'm afraid I can't find the agreement that was sent to me, which gave a list of conditions for which a home assessment should automatically be offered (which included autism). I'm not due to be reassessed for about four years, by which time everything's likely to have changed anyway, so I probably deleted it!

It's good that you did eventually get one, which should be useful as a precedent in the future...just sorry it was such a struggle!

7. Simbindi

Maybe that was Capita, rather than the DWP. I do remember reading some DWP guidance on when to provide a home assessment so I'll try searching for that when I have some time and energy.

8. Simbindi

9. Hell..hath..no..fury...

Hell..hath..no..fury... Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So if you’re in the south, more likely to be refused? I’ve always had home assessments. With doctor backing it, its never been a problem. I’m north.