1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

United Kingdom: Dr Suzanne O’Sullivan (BPS neurologist)

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Robert 1973, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agreed. Trouble is these sort of programmes are targeted strongly as informative entertainment, with no real attempt to validate the information content. I doubt the BBC gives a fig really, so long as the viewing figures are good. Even worse, they may be more than happy to have people like SW on, given his kind of emotive rhetoric involves the sort of shock/horror entertainment that probably lifts the viewing figures; truth unfortunately is doubtless low on their priority list. Maybe JAK is the kind of person who is scientifically educated, but more comfortable interviewing others who actually do it, with little regard to how well they do it.

2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Of course the symptoms are real. Whether the hypothesis that they are caused principally by the psyche is correct or not remains to be seen (looking at history, it's unlikely).

3. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The psychologists have been proved wrong over and over again. Lots of diseases have been claimed as psychosomatic, Asthma, cerebral TB, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis, the list goes on.

A disease being caused by the psyche has no mechanism for how it would work so the default position, especially in the light of how often they have been mistaken, should be that a disease is physical until it is proved to be psychosomatic.

4. large donner

large donner Guest

How do you expect them to be develop an interest in science and dragged away from the Kardashians and Love Island if science isn't dumbed down hocus pocus vodoo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKoQlyonEb4

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Inara, Webdog, EzzieD and 3 others like this.
  5. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

soylent green!!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
    oh Donner that whole video made me laugh so much thank you.

ladycatlover likes this.
  6. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not a recommendation, clearly, but this is on in 15 minutes. :(

MEMarge, Esther12 and ladycatlover like this.
  7. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wish I could come to terms with and understand this idea of the mind.

The end of the talk brought to mind the comments by Arthur Kleinman at the end of the 1993 book Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, the report on the Ciba Foundation Symposium 173.

If we were to meet again even four years from now in another symposium on chronic fatigue syndrome, I suggest that there would be as many social scientists present as there are virologists , immunologists and psychiatrists now. Although some of you may see things differently, I think increased social science attention to this subject will be a good thing.

It hasn't helped.

8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anyone listen to this?

Any tough, probing questions?

9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I tried to but she was just talking anodyne stuff about epilepsy for the first half. I then got waylaid by a diary schedule glitch I had to sort out.

10. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes, and no.
    bottom line is she wants all neurologists to have psychiatric training so they can recognise and treat patients with what she reckons are psychosomatic illnesses (eg Dissociative seizures ).

bobbler, Inara, ladycatlover and 7 others like this.
  11. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The real problem as I see it is that terms like dissociative are just clever sounding words for popular prejudices with the advantage that they can mean whatever the 'expert' wants them to mean at the time. In this case 'part of them is just making it up except that it isn't really part of them because they don't know they are making it up'. The trouble is that nobody knows what 'them' means in scientific terms, or to indeed in 'what actually happens' terms.

I cannot see quite what a psychiatric training would do to help. Identifying non-epileptic seizures requires high skill in neurology, to make sure there is no epileptic focus. If everything suggests there is none then it is reasonable to diagnose a non-epileptic seizure. But as far as I know psychiatry can provide no substantiated theories of explanation (we can forget Freud and childhood trauma) and has no evidence-based treatments to offer. There is just make-things-up-as-you-go-along psychotherapy.

12. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

That's very interesting because this was an argument often put to Wessely about ME: that to determine whether there was an underlying biological cause was not something a psychiatrist was best qualified to do. It was in fact a task for a neurologist, immunologist, etc. It was often phrased poorly as 'What would you know? You're just a psychiatrist.' Used by Wessely of course as evidence ME patients were anti-psychiatry and dismissive of psychiatrists.

13. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nevermind so many of us have seen one, as well as psychologists, and it's just a waste of time.

I have the exact same attitude towards podiatrists. Nothing against them, they just can't do much to help me and that's fine, no hard feelings.

14. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was interesting that she effectively brought up the question of mass hysteria, with mention of some fainting episode in a Yorkshire school. It occurred to me, is this an example of what they regard as maladaptive behaviour? If such behaviour had some evolutionary purpose it seems to have long since passed. It seems to be like some form of "shock" response which may help in certain circumstances, but not in this. It would be unfortunate if mass hysteria were linguistically connected to ME, in the minds of some.

Incidentally, I noticed that the first paper on SW's list of publications was on the subject of mass hysteria. I have not read it and do not comment on its contents, merely that it was a matter of interest to him.

bobbler, MEMarge and andypants like this.
  15. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

I know nothing about Jim Al-Khalili, he may be a great guy, for all I know, but his unchallenging interviews of both Wessely and O'Sullivan were fluffy tosh. I recall he described Wessely and his wife Gerada as the ultimate power couple. Made me want to weep/ throw up.

bobbler, andypants, Missense and 4 others like this.
  16. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread: The reality of imaginary illness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyJ31Ojqafs

I replied on YouTube with:
    @10:48 "resistance to the diagnosis is about the stigma". This is a strawman argument against ME patients who suffer worsening of symptoms (in some cases permanently) from exercise or exertion. Under a psychological model worsening of symptoms are not believed by doctors, friends, family, and employers. As a result patients are treated unfairly, are given the wrong advice, and in some cases have their disability made permanently worse. There have even been cases of patients being forcibly sent to mental institutions and children with ME being taken away from their parents. Suzanne O'Sullivan dedicated a chapter in her book (It's All in Your Head: True Stories of Imaginary Illness) to ME which she claims is psychosomatic.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2021
    bobbler, Lou B Lou, Kitty and 11 others like this.
  17. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well of course I don't really like it. :banghead:

Kitty, MEMarge, ladycatlover and 3 others like this.
  18. Squeezy

Squeezy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No words can convey my complete and utter contempt for this wretched person. :mad:

bobbler, Lou B Lou, Kitty and 5 others like this.
  19. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

interview
    It's not 'all in your head' — neurologist Suzanne O'Sullivan on psychosomatic illness

It's not 'all in your head' — neurologist Suzanne O'Sullivan on psychosomatic illness (msn.com)

Kitty, Hutan, Solstice and 1 other person like this.
  20. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:banghead::banghead::banghead::mad::banghead::banghead::banghead:
    This idea that PwME are 'taking to their beds', in an 'attention/fear avoidance cycle'...

Oh bugger off. I may well have psychiatric illness, we dont yet know what causes ME/CFS, but its not 'fear/avoidance' or attention seeking.
    All that happens when i am in bed is i get vastly less attention than i do when i am up & downstairs on the settee, because it means i can see people and engage with them.

There is no 'avoidance' available from being in bed when ill, because i still have to deal with all the sh*t that life throws at me, i just have to deal with it while feeling dreadful. In addition it would be a pretty useless adaptive mechanism to coping with stress, because when the symptoms get so bad i cant speak or move and things have no choice but to get left until i can at least communicate - the problem is usually worse when i eventually get to it than it was when it first arose. So what they see as "avoidance" of it would be very strange coping mechanism wouldnt it - 'lets make everything worse, and while you are laid there completely incapacitated you can add the stress & worry of whats happening and how things are worseing while you cant deal with them'.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

bobbler, Sly Saint, Sean and 9 others like this.