1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

United Kingdom: Bath paediatric CFS/Fatigue clinic - Esther Crawley; Phil Hammond

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Dx Revision Watch, Aug 22, 2021.

1. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The science on CBT and GET is not uncertain; it shows that the hypothesis they are based on is completely wrong and that the treatments don't work.

It is the biomedical science which is uncertain but an injection of research funds, or even the money being channelled to more CBT and GET research being diverted back, would make a difference.

2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for sending the whole Hammond piece. Yes, it is dreadful. Drivel dressed up as 'common sense'.

This is just what is problematic - appearing to provide everything patients might want but in fact providing untested treatment that probably achieves nothing.

At least he seems to agree that GET is not what is needed. But so he uses get.

Yvonne, Louie41, Michelle and 22 others like this.
  3. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"They develop long-term debilitating and persistent fatigue and a host of other unpleasant symptoms and signs that can make a single label inadequate. These can include [long list of symptoms]..."

If the "single label" is "Fatigue" or "Chronic fatigue" well yes; but otherwise this smacks of that lady TV doctor (was it Dr Sarah Jarvis?) who said some years ago re paediatric ME, CFS: We don't need to give it a label and tie it up in a big bow (or words to that effect).

Louie41, Michelle, Joh and 8 others like this.
  4. Dx Revision Watch

He says: '"Graded exercise therapy" - one of Nice's sticking points - as described by some patients may sound awful, but it's not something I recognise.'

which sounds as though he's not receptive to the fact that some patients [in clinical settings other than his own] have suffered as a result of GET.

5. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Absolutely, because that is what the 'pause' is supposedly to facilitate, which is wrong on every level.

6. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And this in itself is an argument against the kind of "individualized" one size fits none guff he's going on about.

If he refers to the treatment he provides as GET, even though it might not be, and his patient encourages another to accept an offer of GET at another clinic and that other patient is harmed.....

It is still harm.

Or if one of his patients refuses information and assistance in learning about pacing because he insists on calling it GET and they've heard about GET from other people.... that's harm.

If by some magic an new treatment pharmalogical or otherwise becomes available how could NICE possibly make an informed decision about whether it's cost effective or not when comparing it to the existing treatments if some clinics are calling the ssme treatment by different names and different treatment by the same name?

Assuming the clinics have bothered to do any of the basic record keeping in the first place, of course.

7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I have read it too. It's full of 19th century homely advice like eat healthily and sleep hygiene, and individualised treatments by which he means presumably do what the doctor decides is best based on their 'experience'. And no, it's not OK to hold different opinions on science if that means the clinician deciding their prejudices over-ride what has been shown in clinical trials. The science is not uncertain on GET and CBT, it shows they don't work.

8. Dx Revision Watch

9. Jonathan Edwards

'with a huge range of causation'

So Dr Hammond can now divine the cause of each patient's illness and base treatment on it?
    Goodness knows what the bit about diagnostic tests was about. He seemed to miss the point that there was certainty about treatments not having a useful effect.

Yvonne, EzzieD, Shinygleamy and 33 others like this.
  10. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

11. Adrian

I assume he is confusing trigger with cause or maybe he believes the trigger is the cause?

12. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If he doesn’t follow the research and he doesn’t feel the need to adhere to the NICE guidelines, what does he base his approach to “treatment” on? Intuition? Divine inspiration? What his boss tells him? Phil Parker’s WhatsApp group?

EzzieD, Shinygleamy, Louie41 and 35 others like this.
  13. Adrian

When doctors talk about individual care or tailoring things to patients it is important to realize this boils down to doctors having a lot of choice in what they tell patients. Patients will rarely have enough information to challenge the doctors views and suggestions (and doing so doesn't go down well!).

[edit]
    I also don't like the phrase rehabilitation that Hammond uses as it suggests that someone will get better and I don't think peoples hopes should be raised. I guess rehabilitation is better than cure as it doesn't say why someone would get better but it feels like an unjustifiable thing. Better just to talk about symptom management.

14. petrichor

petrichor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He may have meant a diagnostic criteria. NICE didn't recommend a specific diagnostic criteria, but just recommended looking for certain key symptoms

Louie41, Missense, Michelle and 8 others like this.
  15. Adrian

Possibly but other things he is saying suggest he doesn't understand how NICE works. His attitude is all very wishy washy yet he seems to think he knows what to do to help patients.

EzzieD, Shinygleamy, Louie41 and 20 others like this.
  16. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that tweet from Dr Phil looks like an attempt at humour in response to the ‘science is certain’ remark from an ME patient, which he’s wilfully taken out of the CBT/GET doesn’t work context it was relating to. He’s ironically pointing out that if the ‘science is certain,’ then where is the diagnostic test; furthermore, patients with complex illnesses better be grateful for what they’re given otherwise they might be left without any support whatsoever.

17. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Even if he just read the MEAssociation purple book he would know a lot more about ME than he appears to currently.

18. Jonathan Edwards

I think he was misunderstanding a response to his comment that the science was uncertain. He thought somebody was suggesting that the science of ME was sorted. What is sorted is the science of CBT and GET - they don't work.

Edit: what hinterland said!

19. Adrian

If it is an attempt at humour its very poor - but that doesn't surprise me. Perhaps one of the issues of communicating over twitter (although he did write an whole article which really said very little but I'm interpreting it as yes publish the guidelines but doctors should continue doing whatever they want anyway). I've never been impressed with Hammond he has never come across as a clear thinker to me!

20. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is very ironic considering that he and the others do not use the ones available but just look at fatigue.