1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

United Kingdom: Bath paediatric CFS/Fatigue clinic - Esther Crawley; Phil Hammond

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Dx Revision Watch, Aug 22, 2021.

1. Ebb Tide

Ebb Tide Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If there was evidence that GET and CBT worked I’d be first in line to get it. I have separate mental health issues, there’s no stigma for me. I’ve done CBT and other therapies for that.

The idea that we are just turning down help because it doesn’t fit our worldview is so insulting. People have been willing to spend tens of thousands, take potentially deadly drugs, have spinal surgery and many other extreme measures. They shouldn’t do those either because the evidence also isn’t there but it shows the lengths people will go to.

The issue is that their own evidence shows GET doesn’t work.

3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Worth repeating.

4. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But maybe he thinks he is ... :rolleyes:

Mithriel, Louie41, Daisy and 5 others like this.
  5. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

“The issue is that their own evidence shows GET doesn’t work.”

Indeed worth repeating many times over.

6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Yes GET CBT absolutely doesn’t result in return to previous circumstances. Indeed the fact that return to work didn’t happen for participants on the PACE trial was used for my ill health retirement application in the report by my ME doctor to demonstrate that it was highly unlikely I would ever be able to go back.

Revel, Joan Crawford, EzzieD and 23 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh hell no, we don't need that. We need to find what is common, even if only to some, ideally stratify. Otherwise it rests on clinical judgment and that's the last thing we need.

8. rvallee

In a tweet he explicitly stated he hasn't seen any himself. Which may be true, that he didn't see them, in the sense that he didn't recognize it. I believe him on that. Very likely those who did simply did not go back. As we know these clinics are basically the polar opposite of rigorous and cannot assess anything.

Which makes the main point: that clinical judgment is too unreliable here. Even those who do set their eyes on it do not recognize what's happening, which is normal, as disappointing as it may be humans don't have magical abilities to evaluate reality without technology or instruments.

Although his comment that he expected NICE to review the evidence on tests was frankly bizarre, it was never part of their remit, it would be basic science anyway and there obviously hasn't been any because of lack of funds and resources.

The intersection of well-meaning but misguided is very accident-prone, a true ethical blind spot.

9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Returning to the Dr Phil Hammond article in the Sunday Times that those of us who have seen it agree is a load of patronising waffle, and a worrying degree of confidence that he knows what he's doing with his individualised rehab.

Someone has just shown me a copy of the online version of the article that has a section in it that's not in the print edition I have been shown.

Dr Phil says:

Given that Dr Phil works at Crawley's Bath children's CFS clinic, I find this particularly chilling. Not satisfied with their useless and unethical 'research' on LP, he now says they should be researching all sorts of other quackery. I am horrified.

Tobedyl, Kirsten, EzzieD and 35 others like this.
  10. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He has just been talking about this on twitter - he was mentioning LP & Perrin in a tweet. His twitter feed is infuriating today. It is a disgrace. I am afraid I do not think he is operating in good faith at all.

11. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Was it sauté brain this time @Trish - you really should be careful of these moderators.

Louie41, Daisy, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  12. rvallee

Says everything about this being a solution in search of a problem. What ever gave this guy the notion that he knows what he's talking about? Beneath the words he seems as misguided as Wessely, frankly. When you peel back the hollow message, the substance is just as terrible.

He clearly doesn't understand that exercise is then at the expense of everyday things, that increased activity is the default behavior for almost everyone as soon as they can. Hardly anyone needs a coach to get moving after they are ill, the whole premise is absurd. This is Being There medicine, exactly as useful as a sock potato is at... how do they say it... leeching off toxins? Or whatever.

Edit: added another tweet, he clearly has no clue about ME/CFS, wow, even worse than I thought.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
  13. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Probably not on point for anything, just idle musing.

Here's the scenario I picture when I read PH et al respond to challenges to their world view.

They would like for things to remain the same or even better go back to how things were (when they felt unchallenged). Going into the office every day with a smile on their face knowing that they are respected. They can be assured of a future of prestige, power influence and financial security. Life is good.

Children will draw pictures of them as super-heroes that they can pin up in their office. Families will send Christmas cards. Hugs of gratitude will be the norm.

Challenging all of this is like cornering them in a dark alley and you might have a weapon. Why would you do this? Anxiety rises to the surface. CBT/GET are at real risk. This anxiety is uncomfortable and it needs to go away. In order to maintain control and keep the good times flowing the mind races to every conceivable possibility that can be utilised as a treatment while keeping the delivery of that tx in their own hands.

Allowing the idea that medicine might have something to offer should bio research be done is unthinkable. The idea that what they are currently doing for ill people is not science is unthinkable.

Anything goes when it's personalised. It's a great idea as it sounds so caring. And it's difficult to challenge as it's difficult to measure for scientific scrutiny. Some anxiety subsides. Yet their is no awareness of any emotional connection to what is happening only rationalisation that all is scientific enough to be clinically useful.

Yet as it has been pointed out the idea of personalised medicine as they call it is just a cover for keeping things as they have always been and is to keep patient care in the 19th century.

Just my own musing on how a status quo being challenged can play out.

14. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is the point surely, though Hammond seems to miss it entirely. If you cannot distinguish between those who will be harmed by your interventions and those who will not, how can you possibly deem it ethical to use a scatter gun approach to all?

Tobedyl, Kirsten, EzzieD and 28 others like this.
  15. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He seems to not care and is making comments that he wants a NICE "mandated" test to distinguish between such patients.
    He cannot possibly be this uninformed and it seems like a political agenda to me.

16. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This seems to be the latest report on the Bath approach to paediatric 'CFS/ME' (2017):

https://www.paediatricsandchildhealthjournal.co.uk/article/S1751-7222(17)30123-3/fulltext

Author manuscript available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5939995/ thanks to @Dx Revision Watch for the link (I used Sci-hub)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
  17. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think he would have done better to keep quiet I'm more convinced he doesn't have a clue.

18. Yvonne

Yvonne Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How many patients say they have done the activities prescribed when they have not (because they can't or because it makes them feel worse), and say they feel better when they do not?

Helene, Kirsten, EzzieD and 25 others like this.
  19. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Particularly in children's clinics where they need support with schools and child protection can be threatened

inox, Helene, Kirsten and 28 others like this.
  20. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

2 people have let me know about Dr P H article. I’m just saying it’s positive he supports publication

but he doesn’t seem to understand the scientific basis for treatments to be included in guidelines and that he seems to be waffling on about researching alternative therapies when we need biomedical research