1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Unidentified (CFS/ME) is a major cause of school absence: surveillance outcomes from school-based clinics, 2011, Crawley et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access, https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/1/2/e000252

Reason for posting above
    https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/9/11/e000252corr1

@dave30th

MSEsperanza, Chezboo, Sean and 13 others like this.
  2. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Is that true?

I didn't think that the Ethics committee were asked about data from children and young people?

MSEsperanza, Esther12, Hutan and 7 others like this.
  3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Service evaluation...
    Who is pulling strings?
    This will be very embarrassing when the saga of the emporer' s new clothes finally hits home.

4. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is this the original reference number to the letter relating to anonymous service evaluation of existing adult service provision that Crawley inappropriately used for the eleven separate studies recently investigated by Bristol at the instigation of the HRA?

I am not on the ball today, but did that investigation go as far as saying that this original letter was appropriate justification for avoiding any ethical approval for this research evaluating a paediatric screening service?

5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

if that is supposed to be new wording in response to the investigation it is yet more fudge

MSEsperanza, rvallee, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes
    07/Q2006/48

7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

David Tuller's blog: Today I can disclose that the scrutiny involves papers linked to a specific research ethics committee (REC) reference: 07/Q2006/48. That is the number of a 2007 REC opinion issued for a study titled “What happens to children with CFS/ME? The study of a longitudinal cohort of children who access a paediatric CFS/ME service. Version 2.” The investigators were seeking permission to add some more questionnaires to those already being filled out by (or about) pediatric patients at the specialized Bath clinic run by Professor Crawley.

MSEsperanza, ukxmrv, Lidia and 8 others like this.
  8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hold up isn't that the complete opposite? That the review panel has found that ethical approval should have been sought because it should have been classified as research? Which it clearly was. Do service evaluation even need to get REC approval? The original article is still classified under pediatrics research!

When you read the original article, the summary is literally "hypothesis" and "research question".

What is this double-whitewash nonsense? Those are not the droids we are looking for? That Jedi mind trick does not work in this universe, all it adds up to is literal hand-waving. Yet again those magical optional requirements that BPS research is exempted from.

MSEsperanza, Lidia, Chezboo and 5 others like this.
  9. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exactly. This is of course a main point I'll make in appealing the decision. It's really absurd for this paper to suggest it should or could be exempt from ethical review.

MSEsperanza, Lidia, Amw66 and 6 others like this.
  10. AllenJB

AllenJB Established Member (Voting Rights)

Is the rate of ME in Britain increasing? Particularly with respect to children?

Lidia likes this.