1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK Research and Innovation: Researching ME/CFS: highlight notice [First opened 2003]

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Andy, May 2, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Updated 2nd May 2023.

"Apply for funding to research myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), also known as chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).

You can get the funding through any:

• grants from MRC research boards
    • MRC fellowships
    We would particularly welcome proposals within MRC remit that address 1 or more of the research areas identified by the ME/CFS Priority Setting Partnership for ME/CFS research:

• post-exertional malaise
    • use of existing drugs for other conditions
    • diagnosis
    • autoimmunity
    • ME/CFS sub-types
    • post-infective cause
    • neurological symptomology
    • genetics
    • severe ME/CFS
    • mitochondrial dysfunction
    • oxygenation dysfunction
    We will usually fund up to 80% of your project’s full economic cost."

Further details, https://www.ukri.org/opportunity/researching-me-cfs-highlight-notice/

2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

This is the long standing call from the UK funders for applications for funding to study ME, so nothing new, other than updating it to include the detail on the Priority Setting Partnership details, as highlighted by the ME Association on social media.

3. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If I'm not mistaken, this call has been open since 2003 (as Andy has noted), so the ME Association tweet is wrong to suggest applications have just opened on 1 May 2023.

4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

good to see the use of the priority setting partnership list

Binkie4, DokaGirl, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  5. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

It it the same call that has been open since 2003 but updated with the PSP list ot priorities to help advertise the call.

As I understand it the highlight notice means that ME proposals will get priority assuming the reach the threshold for funding. The problem is getting high quality proposals and appropriate reviews to get to that situation.
    The PSP should also aid proposals as it say that they are priorities of patients which I believe is being taken seriously by government funders.

6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

ME Research UK now posting about it
    "UK Research & Innovation has issued a highlight notice - 'Researching ME/CFS' - calling for applications for MRC funding bit.ly/410V6FA for projects and welcoming especially those based on the Priority Setting Partnership's Top Ten + research needs."

7. InitialConditions

I just don't think they are getting the proposals. A half decent proposal on one of the PSP priorities probably has a good chance of being funded now. Who/where are these proposals going to come from?

Binkie4, DokaGirl, Sean and 3 others like this.
  8. InitialConditions

@Adrian is it possible to bring this up with MERC/CMRC - perhaps an email can go round to the existing distribution list? (I know MERC is not currently active).

9. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I think it is a problem that people are well aware of.

10. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had missed this. My rejected proposal to NIHR () mentioned designing trials based on the PSP priority "use of existing drugs for other conditions". I am planning to submit the same to the MRC Better Research Better Methods in November. Perhaps I should contact the ME/CFS highlight person at the MRC and run it past them?
    upload_2023-6-14_8-59-2.png

alktipping, RedFox, Binkie4 and 4 others like this.
  11. InitialConditions

I think that's probably worthwhile. My question is how much is your proposal specific to ME/CFS? It seems the overall concept of the research is more general, but you would use ME/CFS as a sort of case study?

12. InitialConditions

alktipping, RedFox, Binkie4 and 3 others like this.
  13. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am going to submit the same broad proposal to the MRC Better Methods Better Research fund in November. (https://www.ukri.org/what-we-offer/...t-and-support/better-methods-better-research/) Now I have noticed the MRC highlight for ME/CFS (https://www.ukri.org/opportunity/researching-me-cfs-highlight-notice/), I will make the application much more ME/CFS focused than I did for the NIHR application, including making more of the link to the ME/CFS Priority Setting Partnership (https://www.jla.nihr.ac.uk/priority-setting-partnerships/ME-CFS/). I hope to have people with ME as co-applicants on the application. And also collaborators from the James Lind Priority Setting Partnership and Decode ME if possible.

obeat, alktipping, RedFox and 4 others like this.
  14. InitialConditions

I think this is the way forward. Focus on ME. It will limit the scope and make the proposal more targetted, but the method/results could be generalised and applied to other illnesses.